Review by Dolor -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Dolor
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Review by Dolor -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Dolor » 04 Feb 2019, 01:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The hilarious words and festive pictures of Sigfried's Smelly Socks! (by Len Foley) made my day! This illustration book is for children aged 3 to 7 years old. It had 26 pages with full-page illustrations. The words were written like freestyle poems - some ends rhymed while others not.

Take a whiff or cover your nose as Sigfried enumerated the culprit of the horrible smell on each page of his book. The myriad of awful smell sources were from the rotten banana, squish-mushed chewing gum, old pizza slice, peanut butter, jelly chunks, dog pee, smell from his sister's behind, and more. Can you tell which smell burned the hairs on Sigfried's head?

The comical drawings and the humorous descriptions of the sources of the horrible smell made me laugh out loud. This was the first book that made me admire dirty-doodled drawings matched with the gross humor. I complimented Len Foley's clever use of alliteration in the title, the poetic writing style, the rhythmic paragraphs, and the gross humor. The purpose of this book was purely for fun - just don't mind the little gross.

The kids aged 3 to 7 years old might not be familiar with the words whiff, squish-mushed, slobber, kraut, blubber, and splotch. The ending was thought-provoking. I teased my nephew and my niece to bathe inside the toilet bowl the way Sigfried did in the picture, but they chorused, "Yuck!" I am not squeamish, but I would never bathe inside a toilet bowl no matter how clean it is. 

I saw a missing comma before the word "too" on page 8. It did not hinder my enjoyment and reading flow. There was nothing I disliked in this book. I rate Len Foley's Sigfried's Smelly Socks! 4 out of 4 stars. The awful things mentioned might assault the senses of the squeamish readers. Yes, this book stinks! I recommend it to the children aged 3 to 7 years old and to the readers who get tickled by gross humor.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Worm Fall by Steve Thomasson

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Feb 2019, 10:44

Cute review! I read this one as well after everyone kept talking about the ending. I had to know what it was. I still thought it was cute, and I don't know too many kids who would actually do what Sigfried does. :) Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Comrade Netai and the chronology Of His UG Days by sanjay Lahiri

Post by gen_g » 10 Feb 2019, 01:35

I'm glad that this children's book is a great learning resource for kids; it's a plus that it's also fun! Thanks for the review.

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 11 Feb 2019, 02:06

Sounds like a book with a great vocabulary and love of language / poetry- qualities I love in children’s books ! And with the sense of silliness that I so appreciate about this genre.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by InStoree » 14 Mar 2019, 08:58

I just finished reviewing this children's book and personally, I was quite disappointed with the grotesque method of exposing children's education to cleanliness. My rate was totally opposed to yours, to the fact that I think during this very early period (3-7 years old), when the child's mind behaves like a sponge, it is not the most appropriate means to induce grossness in their growing progress. Perhaps for an audience older than 7 years, these nasty witticisms may be flashed. I found the book to be confusing in the child's personal advancement and for intellectual evolution. I mean, a dog peeing in Sigfried's mouth is not what I expected to find in a children book, that is supposed to be educative. But, I guess these things are subjective. It's interesting to see a totally different view.
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”