Review by InStoree -- There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Review by InStoree -- There and Back There Again

Post by InStoree »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup is an exciting book that introduces us in Andy's daily experience from the last six years of his life. A personal journey in which the government system intrudes into his privacy through "a new form of interrogation". A violation of his brain, invading his mind with voices that harass, threat, humiliate and trying to manipulate him, through pressure and intimidation.

The author calls this continuous mind ‘radio’, chipmunks, a frequency that is quiet only when is raining. It becomes a legal, political and medical fight, a struggle for his own privateness. This psychic harassment gives him a mission to change the civil rights through a Constitutional Amendment for Privacy. An illegal intrusion is best described in his trip to Seattle where the chipmunks try to take control of him, hoping he will be part of espionage. A repetitive phrase of self-encouragement becomes vital for Andy's survival, keeping him "undefeated and impenetrable" in front of these illusions. He holds himself together and he refuse to be a human machinery for federal pleasure.

When the system acts like a bacterium, it begins to spread in all life's departments such as job, friends and family, losing everything, just because he doesn't agree with these mind voices and he doesn't play their game. Andy has no holding back to express himself freely, and swearing is part of human natural reaction. For some readers, this could be disturbing, but on the other hand its quite understandable considering the circumstances.

In the second part of the book, Andy shows us a totally different part of himself. While I was enjoying the lecture, I had the impression that someone else continued writing the book, skipping so brutally from radio's chipmunks, laws, Senate, schizophrenia, to religion, God's signs, Jesus genealogy and faith. It really kept me connected to all his work steps. He also brings into the story ideas about modernism and post-modernism, and before you notice, you wake up reading about the art of sexuality, nudity, erotica and intimacy. Science and mathematics topics are not left aside.

Andy's intelligence level is clearly beyond the common and because the volume is a journal with random thoughts, it could be a bit unpleasant for those who enjoy detailed and organized written, creating confusion in his descriptions, among psychic and real world. But for those who are delighted to read between the lines, the book contains a strong message for government and civil, and for that reason, but also for an overall reading experience I will rate "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup 4 out of 4 stars.

I couldn't help notice that from chapter 13 it skips straight to chapter 21, and that makes me wonder if this was a typing mistake or Andy intentionally didn't write the chapters 14 to 20? But this aspect really strengthens the book’s intrigue; in the end, it will remain a question mark.

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like InStoree's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Those missing chapters are indeed intriguing. I hope kandscreeley will have the chance to ask Andrew about it. Alsup to him, after all.

Seriously, maybe the chapter numbers are intentional. The number 13 is usually considered unlucky; 21 is the exact opposite. This might be in keeping with the surprising story. Andy seems to be the embodiment of Andrew's dream personality.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 08:54 Those missing chapters are indeed intriguing. I hope kandscreeley will have the chance to ask Andrew about it. Alsup to him, after all.

Seriously, maybe the chapter numbers are intentional. The number 13 is usually considered unlucky; 21 is the exact opposite. This might be in keeping with the surprising story. Andy seems to be the embodiment of Andrew's dream personality.

To be honest Miriam, I'm not sure that I would like to know what Andy has to say about these missing chapters. I admit I am curious, but I would hate to be disappointed if it was just typing error. I love mystery and having all the answers... kind of ruin it. Thanks for dropping by!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am a bit surprised to see someone giving 4 stars to this book, since I reviewed it recently. Anyway, different readers have different views 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Sushan wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 10:44 I am a bit surprised to see someone giving 4 stars to this book, since I reviewed it recently. Anyway, different readers have different views 👍👍
I'm glad I've surprised you and that we don't see things similar. We read the same book, but through our own eyes and that's one of the things that makes us different. Otherwise, it would be a monotonous world :) Thanks for your honesty! I appreciate it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Yours is the second review I've read today of this same book - nice to see two perspectives on this matter. It's good that you enjoyed it, but I am one of those who like to see a bit of structure in a narrative. With the mention of "chipmunks trying to control" the author, I'm fairly sure this isn't for me.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

inaramid wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 22:10 Yours is the second review I've read today of this same book - nice to see two perspectives on this matter. It's good that you enjoyed it, but I am one of those who like to see a bit of structure in a narrative. With the mention of "chipmunks trying to control" the author, I'm fairly sure this isn't for me.
The disorganized style of this book is undeniably an issue that chases away the readers. Most likely if a movie were produced after this story, then the book would reach easier to people and the author would extend his audience. Thanks for visiting, Inaramid!
~Tayma Tameem
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This is the first 4-star review of this book I’ve read! You seem able to synthesize / make sense of it a bit better than others were. Interesting about the chapter numbering!

Thanks for the review. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 09:11 This is the first 4-star review of this book I’ve read! You seem able to synthesize / make sense of it a bit better than others were. Interesting about the chapter numbering!

Thanks for the review. :)
I've read the other reviews too and indeed, the opinions are quite extreme. The book is a roller coaster that makes you throw up at first. But once I've discovered that is not an ad litteram work, I saw things differently. I gave the 4th star for the originality. As I said in my review, its a book for those who can slalom through it and pick up some Governmental bites. Thanks for stopping by, Belle! :)
~Tayma Tameem
Popepost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popepost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Popepost »

I am very surprised as well. While I can appreciate what this reader did, I found no context. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Sushan wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 10:44 I am a bit surprised to see someone giving 4 stars to this book, since I reviewed it recently. Anyway, different readers have different views 👍👍
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Popepost wrote: 17 May 2019, 12:48 I am very surprised as well. While I can appreciate what this reader did, I found no context. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Thank you for reading my review and sharing your thoughts!
~Tayma Tameem
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds weird and fantastic. While I don't think I'd subscribe to the author's way of thinking it would still be cool to see how his mind works. As with others on here as well, I'd love to know more about the missing chapters.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Nisha Ward wrote: 17 May 2019, 14:12 This sounds weird and fantastic. While I don't think I'd subscribe to the author's way of thinking it would still be cool to see how his mind works. As with others on here as well, I'd love to know more about the missing chapters.
The author's mind and his unique and chaotic writing style are the essences that I found them quite original. Thank you for your comment, Nisha! I hope you'll enjoy his work!
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”