Review by Nyambura Githui -- Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Nyambura Githui -- Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by Nyambura Githui »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Protostar" by Braxton A. Cosby.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Protostar is the first book of the Star-crossed saga series written by Braxton A. Cosby. It is a romance sci-fi that encompasses prophecy, romance, drama and mystery.

Prince William Derry is from the planet Fabricius, that has a binary star system in which both stars are fading. He takes up the role of a bounty hunter, bound to find the Star-child and restore his family’s honor from past failures. He is warned that the Star-child elicits strong feelings in the people she comes into contact with. With this he sets off to find and kill his target, determined not to fail his people. Sydney is a 17 year-old who craves for more excitement than the small town she lives in has to offer. She dreams of her prince charming who takes her around the moon, past Mars and brings her home, literally. Sydney is charmed by William, and she falls under his spell not knowing his true intention. Will William be able to follow through with his mission? Or will he accept the feelings he’s developing for Sydney? And what fate will befall the star-crossed lovers?

Cosby really brings the story to life from the very beginning. I became really invested in the characters, and the roles they played. Sydney is kind, gentle and lovable. She is a glass half-full kind of person. Always optimistic about life. William is charming, attractive and a warrior in his home planet. He is taught to suppress any emotion as it is considered a flaw. To a Prince, love is a weakness.

The book is full of unexpected twists and turns that keep the reader on her toes. Cosby has really put a lot of effort in his research about the scientific terms and concepts used in the book. It has some technical parts, but not a lot so as not to make the book boring. The book also had romance and adventure aspects to balance out the sci-fi.

The book had a few errors, but that didn’t really affect the book in general. I also felt like Sydney was too muted when she found out the truth about William. She accepted it too quickly. Other than that the book was interesting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the book, except for the few errors and the part in the book that I have mentioned. The writing is professional and the story captivating. I would recommend this book to young adults and also to anyone who enjoys a story with a twist of adventure and romance.

Protostar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nyambura Githui's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Sci-fi, prophesy, romance, drama and mystery! Sounds like this book's got it all. I especially like the irresistible bad-boy vibes I'm getting from the Prince character. I also think that Sydney sounds like a blast of a friend. I'll be sure to look into this one.
Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

It sounds like there is a lot going on with this book! Thanks for the detailed review. I definitely want to check this one out.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I love it when I can become immersed in the characters of the book! Thanks for the awesome revew :tiphat:
Spencer Mack
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

Crazyreader01 wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 08:40 Sci-fi, prophesy, romance, drama and mystery! Sounds like this book's got it all. I especially like the irresistible bad-boy vibes I'm getting from the Prince character. I also think that Sydney sounds like a blast of a friend. I'll be sure to look into this one.
Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Thank you for the comment
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

[/quote]
Delaney35 wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 09:38 It sounds like there is a lot going on with this book! Thanks for the detailed review. I definitely want to check this one out.
Thanks for the comment.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

spencermack wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 22:23 I love it when I can become immersed in the characters of the book! Thanks for the awesome revew :tiphat:
Thanks for the comment.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Prince William falls in love with his intended victim. What a dilemma! Will this be the death of his planet Fabricius?

Indeed, love is a weakness. But we all seek it.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Wow, lots of themes and elements going on here. How does a writer juggle them all? So fascinating. I'm glad you enjoyed this book and thanks for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

nooregano wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 09:19 Wow, lots of themes and elements going on here. How does a writer juggle them all? So fascinating. I'm glad you enjoyed this book and thanks for this review!
Thanks for the comment.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 17:02 Prince William falls in love with his intended victim. What a dilemma! Will this be the death of his planet Fabricius?

Indeed, love is a weakness. But we all seek it.
Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”