Review by Paul78 -- The Not So Great American Novel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Re: Review by Paul78 -- The Not So Great American Novel

Post by Emy Katherine »

A well-written memoir that describes the author's life from childhood to the age of a senior citizen. I admire the author's ability to write his book while fighting cancer. Unfortunately, I am not fan of memoirs, so I will pass. However, I read the sample, and it sounds an interesting read for fans of the genre. Thank you for the review. :tiphat:
Last edited by Emy Katherine on 12 Feb 2019, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Nice review but I dont think I could sit and read a memoir especially one that tells you a lot about business. Sounds like a great book for someone who does like memoirs, just not for me.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
anaabarcalyman
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by anaabarcalyman »

Such an interesting review! Personally, I would not have been interested in reading a book focusing mainly on business. However, you have hooked me! A “rags to riches” story is such a part of the makeup of America. It is inspiring and offers hope for today and the future.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Sounds like the author was successful in his life. An interesting memoir of a man's success despite the obstacles along the way, Thank you for the review.
gogumahikari
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gogumahikari »

A detailed review that sympathetically brings attention to the challenges faced by the author while he was writing the novel. Good use of a rhetorical question in the opening paragraph to lead readers into reading the rest of the review and finding out more about the novel. You also managed to pick out key themes of the novel like the American Dream which I am sure readers who are keen on the topic will greatly appreciate. However, I thought the transitions in between the paragraphs and sentences could be better to improve the general flow of the review, for example the paragraph about how the novel details business management could be brought forward to explain the use of the term "American Dream" in the introduction. I found some of the phrasing a little awkward as well such as "especial attention", "a apparent mismatch in necessary competencies" and "victories in their careers". Nonetheless, you provided a great summary of the novel and gave strong reasons for why people should read it so good job!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I also reviewed this book and appreciated the author's practical advice. Thanks for the interesting review.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

An inspiring book about the life of Doucette, his philosophy of life, and his approach to business and management. Particularly inspiring is to hear that he was suffering from lapses in his memory while this book was being written. By the sounds of this review, this is an excellent book for people in business and especially those who are either starting their own venture, or those already running theirs. An impressive review of a good book and an inspiring man.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

From what I got from the sample, I think this book is a great read for everyone, even if they're not interested in business at all. Mr. Doucette gives amazing life advice and he's, certainly, led an interesting life.
Thank you for your thorough review. From what I got from the sample, I think this book is a great read for everyone, even if they're not interested in business at all.Mr. Doucette gives amazing life advice and he's, certainly, led an interesting life.
Thank you for your thorough and enthusiastic review.
nomi_zubair2

Post by nomi_zubair2 »

This story inspired me alot ,it tells us not to lose hope and to believe what's right for you the storyline is amazing loved it .
cswine48

Post by cswine48 »

Paul78's review gives us far more detail into the book than most reviews. That's not a bad thing, as it encourages people to read the actual book. The book itself seems to be a nostalgic look at an America long gone by, parts of which should be recovered but reminds us that not all of the past is as idyllic as modern society romanticizes
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette sounds like a great memoir. It describes the life of Doucette from childhood to the age of a senior citizen and I would love to read it because it sounds inspiring. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

a good memoir document from the author ,I sensed it will please you to have comprehensive read from the author's experienced story expkoit
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

This book is fascinating as Doucette tells us his life story. The book is filled with wisdom. His dedication to God and things of God is awesome! A great story to learn from. Great review
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like an interesting life story. His descriptions of life as a child and the challenges he faced seem very realistic. This was a great review. I look forwRd to reading this book
FlameKat64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flamekat64.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by FlameKat64 »

Wow, this man sounds really inspirational and I feel like I could learn from him by reading this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”