Review by Shrabastee -- The Traveler's Best Seller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by Shrabastee -- The Traveler's Best Seller

Post by Shrabastee » 31 Jan 2019, 06:13

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Traveler's Best Seller" by Rick Incorvia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tim Peregrine, a high school History teacher, lost his parents and his house on the same night. Following the death of his unborn child, his wife walked away. Tim became a shell of the man he once was, spending his aimless days lecturing the inattentive classes. Then one day, he received his death sentence in the form of a diagnosis of a stage four liver cancer. Coincidentally, he came across a group professing to transport people in time. Having lost all hope, Tim decided to take the plunge, adding a little thrill to his already numbered days.

The premise of The Traveler’s Best Seller, by Rick Incorvia, might not sound unique at first glance. However, what came after Tim embarked on his journeys blew my mind.

The outlook on life and death presented here made me ponder. Death, so ominously present from the very start of the novel, places everything in perspective. How do the trivial issues of our lives even matter when we confront death, the ultimate? Then again, is death really the ultimate? Can you prove your worth in this world, so that you are remembered and loved even after you cease existing? Can you leave your mark? Can you change a life for better? Can you make a difference?

The major theme of the novel centers on living life to the fullest without regrets. Incorvia implores us not to wait for death to come knocking before we appreciate the value of life. Another interconnected theme is the importance of living life on our own terms. It does not matter what we do, as long as we are passionate about it. There is no need to pay heed to how others judge us, we only have to be true to ourselves.

Aside from the themes, the contents were also enriching. The adventures of Tim, the traveler, had me hooked. A few intense scenes evoked a multitude of emotions within me. For instance, when a girl describes the effects of an orchestra on her mind, I could not help feeling what she experienced. At another point, Tim narrates his falling out with a childhood friend. This made me reminisce about the friends I have lost over the years.

Tim, as a character, shows gradual evolution. Ironically, it is his altercation with death that resuscitates him to life. To the author’s credit, the readers can easily relate with him. We feel dejected at his hopelessness, elated when he delves into fascinating adventures. When he comprehends the power of forgiveness and love, we equally share his peaceful feelings. Somewhere along the line, Tim’s journey becomes our own story. The book ends in an optimistic note that emphasizes the worth of life once again.

The single negative point I can mention is that Tim’s first adventure sounded a little dragged. However, by the time I ended the book, I felt so enthralled it did not even matter. It contains a few errors, but none too obvious.

In my opinion, this book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers interested in History and time travel stories. Additionally, those who feel they have lost all hope will definitely find this useful. All things considered, The Traveler’s Best Seller was a truly uplifting read.

The Traveler's Best Seller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!

Espie
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 03 Feb 2019, 09:11

This piece seems to transcend way above and beyond its supposed historical fiction genre's tinges. It is as if there are some lyrical, poetic or metaphorical essences within its pages that could deeply touch one's psyche. At least, that's how you've made it seem. You've asked some poignant yet thought-provoking questions, too. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Sunnyroyish
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Sunnyroyish » 05 Feb 2019, 04:17

Life can be extremely harsh some people, and Tim certainly has one. The time-travel section of the book intriuges me as I'm a lover of sci-fi novels. Thanks for an amazing review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

Lunastella
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Doll
Bookshelf Size: 785
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Lunastella » 05 Feb 2019, 19:39

The outlook on life and death presented here made me ponder. Death, so ominously present from the very start of the novel, places everything in perspective. How do the trivial issues of our lives even matter when we confront death, the ultimate? Then again, is death really the ultimate? Can you prove your worth in this world, so that you are remembered and loved even after you cease existing? Can you leave your mark? Can you change a life for better? Can you make a difference?

The major theme of the novel centers on living life to the fullest without regrets. Incorvia implores us not to wait for death to come knocking before we appreciate the value of life. Another interconnected theme is the importance of living life on our own terms. It does not matter what we do, as long as we are passionate about it. There is no need to pay heed to how others judge us, we only have to be true to ourselves.

These are such important questions to ponder! And I love the idea of living in our own terms, as long as you don't hurt anyone, I think it's quite liberating.
I always appreciate when a character evolves through the story. You totally sold me the book! Thanks!

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: A Warrior's Nightmare by Denna Holm

Post by Kajori50 » 08 Feb 2019, 13:15

Incorvia implores us not to wait for death to come knocking before we appreciate the value of life. Another interconnected theme is the importance of living life on our own terms.
I gather the book teaches some very valuable life-lessons.

Thank you for the lovely review.

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Cotwani » 09 Feb 2019, 14:29

Incorvia implores us not to wait for death to come knocking before we appreciate the value of life.
I couldn't agree more. I remember as a kid, many parents had a culture of saving the best of everything for special occasions - best china, cutlery, outfits etc. I always try to avoid falling into this disposition. I'm not saying people should be frivolous, but it's good to value life now. Thanks for the thought-provoking review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Susmita Biswas » 11 Feb 2019, 00:55

Wow, the starting is very sad but the time travel section is thrilling. I love that part. The review increased my interest. Good review.

Zimall
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall » 12 Feb 2019, 00:31

Had been thinking about the book and couldn't decide whether to read it or not but your review helped a lot.
Thanks a lot for the review Shrabastee ☺😊
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 12 Feb 2019, 22:23

The time traveling totally lost my interest. Not sure why; I’m not averse to that in books, that I know of ! Maybe I’m just not up for (another) book with such serious and depressing themes right now, as I’ve been reading quite a few? Maybe the character of Tim doesn’t interest me somehow? I can’t quite figure it out.

Your review was great though, thank you for sharing it. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”