Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Demon Heart by David Crane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Heart" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Demon Heart by David Crane, the reader follows Naoko Kitamura through her life as a half-human, half-demon hybrid. As an adult, Naoko decides to become a police officer and later begins to deal with cases that involve the supernatural with the help of a secret government organization. As she battles multiple threats to Japan, Naoko risks her life and the lives of her family and friends.

I liked the details that were included about Japanese culture, like festivals and holidays as well as the value that the Japanese place on honor. There were also a lot of interesting details included about the yakuza, since they were a part of the main plot. In the preface, the author says that he had help from a Japanese friend, which made him more trustworthy in regards to what he saying about Japanese culture. I also liked the Japanese proverbs that were given at the beginning of every chapter. They were related to the events in the chapter, and they were fun to read.

The story had a good prologue, which drew me in and made me want to find out how Naoko got into the position she was in. The story also had a good pace, and there was a good balance between the action and fighting parts of the story and the slower dad to day life parts. As I got further into the book, I was actually reminded of Japanese anime and manga with a young, female main character, who is not fully human and has powers that she has to hide.

What I didn’t like was that the story’s flow was inconsistent and sometimes stilted, which was not helped by the odd word choices and phrasing that was sometimes used, like “with what I recognized as an expression of disdain” instead of just saying “with an expression of disdain.” There was also many times where unnecessary information was repeated. The full names of Naoko’s friends were often used. Even at the end of the book when the reader would know their names. There was also a few times where, basically, a summary of events would be given about things that had just happened in the story.

At one point, there was a sub-plot involving a serial killer, who Naoko stumbles across and fights and kills. I felt that the entire section was unnecessary and added nothing to the story. I was a bit impatient as I was reading it, wondering what the point was and wanting to continue with the main plot.

I also had a couple of small issues with the way Naoko was written. One issue was that sometimes she actually did not seem to be trying to hide being half-demon, like when she is in SWAT training and decides to throw herself and a mannequin ‘victim’ out of a third story window and walks away uninjured, and later in the story, she tells her boss that she doesn’t smell any explosives at a scene where the perpetrators have claimed that the building was rigged with explosives. It was even stated in the story that this was not something that humans would have been able to smell. The other issue I had was that at one point in the second half of the book, Naoko says she hates violence, which completely threw me off as I tried to figure out when it was ever demonstrated in the story that she hates violence. She was always ready and willing to fight if she had a reason to and never seemed bothered by the violence.

For the most part, the story did not have graphic descriptions. In one fight, Naoko loses a hand, it says "in a spray of gore” then it continues with the fight. So, things are described but not focused on, although there were a couple of exceptions where Naoko's injuries were described more vividly. There were also mentions of characters being raped or almost being raped, but there were never any descriptions of it.

The story had many missing commas, misspelled words and a few missing words. These editing mistakes, particularly in regards to the misspelled and missing words, and the issues I had with the writing and Naoko’s character has led me to give Demon Heart 2 out of 4 stars. If you like stories with characters that are half-human and are interested in Japanese culture, than you might like this story. I would not recommend it to anyone under the age of 16, because of the few graphic scenes and the mentions of rape.

Demon Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mbrooks2518's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a great premise, but only so/so follow through. I think I will skip it. Good review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 16:18 It sounds like a great premise, but only so/so follow through. I think I will skip it. Good review.
Yeah, this is definitely a story where you have to be willing to look past its problems. Thanks for commenting.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It’s good that the author put in so much detail of Japanese culture but such a shame that the editing let it down as is the way with so many books.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

supernaturals like half-demons and vampires throw me off so from the start I wouldn't have read this. It's also a shame that Naoko's character seemed to have loopholes. Thanks for this honest and thorough review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 02:02 Great review. It’s good that the author put in so much detail of Japanese culture but such a shame that the editing let it down as is the way with so many books.
Yes, I have read many reviews on here where the only thing keeping a book from 4 stars is bad editing.
Thanks for commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

briellejee wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 08:02 supernaturals like half-demons and vampires throw me off so from the start I wouldn't have read this. It's also a shame that Naoko's character seemed to have loopholes. Thanks for this honest and thorough review! :tiphat:
Thanks for commenting!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Sounds like an interesting premise that struggles in execution. It's cool that it has such a strong setting in Japan. The grammar, "summary" vomit, and repetition sounds like it would definitely annoy me. Obviously, the editing needs to be improved also.

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 17:08 Sounds like an interesting premise that struggles in execution. It's cool that it has such a strong setting in Japan. The grammar, "summary" vomit, and repetition sounds like it would definitely annoy me. Obviously, the editing needs to be improved also.

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced review!
Yes, it definitely could have been better executed. Thanks for commenting!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love supernatural fantasy. But your review shows this as a difficult reading experience. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sushan wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 10:48 I love supernatural fantasy. But your review shows this as a difficult reading experience. Thank you 👍👍
Thanks for commenting!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Thank you for the great review. I have friends interested in Japanese culture so I might recommend it to them (with a warning of your negatives, of course). It's good that the author had help to make it more authentic.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Vscholz wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 22:47 Thank you for the great review. I have friends interested in Japanese culture so I might recommend it to them (with a warning of your negatives, of course). It's good that the author had help to make it more authentic.
Thanks for commenting!
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

Naoko seems like an interesting character and i'd like to learn more about her abilities. Thankyou for pointing out the flaws of the story and even the good parts.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Hayley2-0 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 08:25 Naoko seems like an interesting character and i'd like to learn more about her abilities. Thankyou for pointing out the flaws of the story and even the good parts.
Despite its flaws, it was still an entertaining read. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”