Review by kimmyschemy06 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Review by kimmyschemy06 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift is a poignant and suspenseful novel and the second book in the Strong Heart Series created by Charlie Sheldon.

On board the container ship, Seattle Express, Capt. Steve Procida wakes up from the general fire alarm an hour before dawn in early December. The ship is 100 miles from the nearest land, southwest of the Queen Charlotte Island. Before fire and smoke completely overwhelm the crew, the captain sounds the alarm to abandon ship. The twenty members of the crew board two lifeboats and go adrift on one of the worst waters in the world, in the most terrible month of the year.

Now, the race is on between an old tugboat, Warhorse, and the high-speed tugs sent by the owner of the Seattle Express to salvage the burning vessel. Whoever gets a line on the Seattle Express, claims her, and brings her to a dock has a solid claim, and the Warhorse needs the money from the salvage claim to stay on business.

Meanwhile, two lifeboats are adrift on a raging sea.

Told alternately between third-person and first-person perspectives of Capt. Steve Procida and Myra, this is an action-filled and thriller novel with sixty-three chapters. While the main theme of the book is survival, the author features multiple subjects including love, friendship, manipulation, financial collapse, and physical disability, among others.

Scenes are vividly and graphically described that reading feels like watching a three-dimensional film. Suspense is kept in high level and suspenseful scenes, which take place either at sea or in the wilderness, are alternated between calmer scenes on land. This technique gives the story a kind of balance. Though there are too many intense parts within the entire book, the climax still feels dramatically satisfying.

The author creates a set of well-developed, relatable, admirable, and endearing characters. My favorites include Steve, the caring captain of Seattle Express and a loving father, Travis, the impulsive wire splicer with a natural hunger for good story, and Sarah Cooley, the enigmatic teenager with unlimited optimism.

The best part of the book, for me, is the depiction of the strength of the human spirit. The book shows that the ones that survive are those who hold on for as long as they could. This is true for Steve, for Pete and some others.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book a lot. It is touching, moving, suspenseful, and absorbing. Readers may find themselves holding their breaths or with their mouths agape. I even stopped reading at one point because the scene was too intense for me. However, some readers may find the nautical terms a bit frustrating. I, for one, had to google a few words including ‘coaming’ and ‘bitts’. Moreover, there are some questions left unanswered while other parts are left to the readers to contemplate on.

I love everything about this book except for some errors which are, thankfully, very few. I therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is enjoyable and entertaining. I recommend it to readers who enjoy adventure novels.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I've read the first piece, and I could glean from your review that this second instalment is going to be just as good. It's in my Want to Read list now. Thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Espie wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 00:18 I've read the first piece, and I could glean from your review that this second instalment is going to be just as good. It's in my Want to Read list now. Thank you.
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This sounds like such a good book! I'll definitely be reading it before April and can't wait for the BOTM discussion about it. Thanks for the great and informative review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Delaney35 wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 09:44 This sounds like such a good book! I'll definitely be reading it before April and can't wait for the BOTM discussion about it. Thanks for the great and informative review.
You're welcome. It's a great book.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

Thank you for the great review, it sounds like a great book! Now I want to read it! :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: :D
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Fifi_eve12 wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 13:33 Thank you for the great review, it sounds like a great book! Now I want to read it! :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: :D
You're welcome. It's a great book. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I'm currently reading the book and I agree with you, the book is adventurous and suspenseful. Thank you for your honest review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nerea wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 01:09 I'm currently reading the book and I agree with you, the book is adventurous and suspenseful. Thank you for your honest review.
You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I did.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

A suspense filled novel, just my kind of book. Great job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mantha1 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 07:14 A suspense filled novel, just my kind of book. Great job on the review.
Thank you very much. It's a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have read this book and I also enjoyed it. You will also learn something about the cutthroat bisuness of salvaging. Great review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mmg8464 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:33 I have read this book and I also enjoyed it. You will also learn something about the cutthroat bisuness of salvaging. Great review!
Thank you very much! It is a great book.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon "shows that the ones who survive are those who hold on for as long as they could," according to kimmyschemy06's review. That's one of the best one-liner summaries of books that I've read. It captures the book's core message amid several story arcs and guides the readers towards the heart of this novel. The first few chapters of the book are ignited by the raw depiction of a sea disaster and the realistic description of characters and situations. The dialogue is written so well, one would think the author has met these people in real life. The book is about human endurance and the spirit to survive. The book also dramatizes how people deal and overcome the daily wrecks of their lives.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I couldn’t agree more with your review. I was very hooked on this book and enjoyed each page.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”