Review by Joe Hadithi -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Review by Joe Hadithi -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Joe Hadithi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When God created the world, He also created Adam and placed him in the Garden of Eden to enjoy His creation. Adam had his home, and daily he marveled in the majesty of the world God had created. But he was lonely, and so God created Eve. Together, Adam and Eve had rule over every animal and every tree in the garden except one. God had forbidden them from eating from the tree of knowledge. But when the serpent approached Eve and deceived her, she ate the fruit and shared it with Adam. With that act, they got knowledge of good and evil and thus introduced sin into the world. Their relationship with God also suffered.

Jesus, Son of God, was born of a woman. He lived in the same sinful world as the rest of the human race, but He was born pure and died pure. When He was crucified, His death served as a pure sacrifice to atone for the sinful nature of humankind. His death allowed us to have a close relationship with God once more.

Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs explores the nature of sin and its impact on our relationship with God. The book interrogates the role of faith in every Christian’s life, and how by understanding the relationship between man and sin, Christians can improve their relationship with God.

I found the book to be an enlightening read. I could tell the author was well versed in the topics this book chose to tackle. The book is well researched and uses verses from the Bible to emphasize the claims. Notes following each segment help to explain most of the concepts, while the discussion questions after each chapter will help the reader explore the topic further.

The author has used fictional stories to emphasize some of the narratives from the Bible. While the author has explained this, some readers might take them to be part of the Bible narrative.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs. I found it to be enlightening, and the arguments contained were well presented and researched. As such, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. For those same reasons, I couldn’t rate it any lower. I admit that I sometimes got lost following arguments and had to re-read sections. That helped me get a better understanding of the concepts, but it is the reason I wouldn’t give it a perfect rating.

I would recommend this book to Christians, who are born again or not, who would want to have a little more insight on sin, faith, and how to have a better relationship with God. Who Told You That You Were Naked? will help the reader understand God and His Word better.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Joe Hadithi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

Although most days, I'm not sure where my faith lies, I would absolutely consider reading this book. It sounds like William Combs may have some valuable insight and perspectives to offer. I like the description of the writing style you provided, where you explained that he uses fictional stories and notes to compliment the messages that he is trying to explain. Sometimes I find non-fiction Christian literature a little dry, but it sounds like William Combs uses a variety of techniques to make his arguments more engaging. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”