Review by Chikari -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chikari
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 2544

Review by Chikari -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Chikari »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid we find a young boy named Will in an endless search for his lost sister. In this book, Will goes on an adventure that brings him into a new world where everyone's reflections, called echos, live. He soon finds out that there is much more to the stories he read growing up than he ever thought possible. This plunges Will into a world full of magic and mystery where he must figure out who exactly he can trust.

This book was written with the Young Adult audience in mind and does a wonderful job hitting it's mark. This book is excellent for anyone who enjoys books about mystery, magic, and adventure. It also contains charming moments between friends that are nostalgic of the days spent with school friends growing up. Anyone who enjoyed reading books like Harry Potter or The Hunger Games will easily be drawn into this book and Will's story. However, if you don't like books that do not follow typical logic, this is probably not the book for you.

I liked the character development throughout the story the most. Each character, even side characters, were fleshed out really well and given a huge amount of depth. You learn about each character and what really makes them tick. It also makes it even more enjoyable to see them grow throughout the book! The level of character depth really helps to pull the reader in.

The thing I liked least about the book was the pacing in places. Sometimes it seemed like there are small parts missing where we jump from a simple conversation seemingly right into action without much explanation. This broke the immersion for me a little bit because it was jolting. However, it was fairly easy to fall back into the immersion after these parts. While this was distracting, I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The reason I would give The Crystilleries of Echoland this rating is because it fits into the Young Adult category wonderfully and produces a story that really sucks the reader in. The character development I mentioned above also plays a role in this rating. I find that any book that can create well-rounded and well-detailed characters deserves a read because readers have an easier time empathizing with well thought out characters. The high rating is also because the book appears to be edited very well. There were no writing, spelling, or grammar errors that disrupted by reading. If there were any, they were not glaring to break my immersion. I did not give this book 4 stars because of the pacing issues. Largely that the last couple chapters seemed extremely rushed and I somewhat wish the author had fleshed them out a bit more. Overall, I would again recommend this book to anyone wanting a bit more magic in their life!

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chikari's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”