Review by Louanne Piccolo -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Louanne Piccolo -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley is a children's picture book about a pile of malodorous socks that Sigfried has hidden under his bed. He doesn't confess to his secret right away, but takes readers through an impressive array of humourous reasons as to the book's terrible stink. Sigfried distracts us from the truth by suggesting that a rotten banana, an old slice of pizza or dog pee might be the reasons for the smell, before owning up to the truth about his socks. Each sock has a distinctive stink ranging from ostrich breath to skunk feet, which is all very well, but what should Sigfried do about his socks?

Entertaining and funny, I give this picture book 4 out of 4 stars. Len Foley is not only a talented children's writer, but also knows how to create delightful and colourful artwork that can stand alone as a comic without words. This makes the book suitable for children who cannot read, but who wish to flip through the pages on their own. A two for one deal, so to speak, which cannot be given a lesser rating.

As a person who enjoys the visual aspect of things, I loved the fact that the illustrations are made up of both drawings and photos. I feel that Len Foley's book offers something a little different to other children's picture books. The rhyming text, silly pictures and mischievous tone make me think of Roald Dahl's work, but this book has more of a contemporary feel to it. There is nothing about this book I did not like. As a parent, I'm always surprised at other parents who don't enjoy sharing wacky humour with their children; this book may not be suited to that sort of parent.

Sigfried's Smelly Socks! is a picture book for children from 3 to 7, but I think that anyone can enjoy it. Older children, teenagers and even adults will laugh out loud at Len Foley's whimsical and witty book. Other than one spelling mistake, I find the book to be well-edited and beautifully presented.

Creative and enchanting, you won't regret reading the story of Sigfried and his smelly socks. This book is visually appealing and a lot of fun, but be warned, it stinks!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Louanne Piccolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Whisper In MY Ear
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's quite interesting to note that, despite the usual negative connotations and denotations attached to this piece's theme, title, and cover, it never fails to get our fellow reviewer's thumbs up. Thank you for your equally light yet informative review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Ride Is Free
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I had this book also in my review list, as it has a different feel for me, a refreshing tone. The humour here is even appealing to matured readers, don't you think? And it is so short, but believe me, it took me longer to piece together things to say on this one....Ops, pardon, I got confused. It must be the other Foley book that I reviewed -- The Four Funny Bananas.
Great review. I hope this gets featured as BOTD.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”