Review by Darlynn_Tebogo -- Who Told You That You Were N...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlynn_Tebogo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
2018 Reading Goal: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Darlynn_Tebogo -- Who Told You That You Were N...

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden by William E. Combs is an interesting and in-depth look at Adam and Eve. The book captures their circumstances, and the consequences of their action; not only for them but for their sons and for humankind. The author then examines faith, redemption and the walk of a Christian including the opposition of the adversary.

This book contains ten chapters, each filled with scripture, insights from the author, personal stories and study questions for discussion. The author’s perspective on this well-known story provides much to think about. The book also clearly provides the plan of salvation and discusses Little faith, Real faith, Sinners, Good people and society’s mindset that salvation is not needed.

What I liked about the book is how Combs explained why God put the tree in the middle of the Garden. He could have just as easily not put that temptation in the way. Also, Adam and Eve could have chosen not to eat the forbidden fruit, but God allowed them to choose which path to follow. The one of obedience or the one of sin. Choosing to disobey God created all kinds of feelings that Adam and Eve had never dealt with before such as shame, fear, self-awareness of being naked and the knowledge of good and evil. I believe that God would have preferred to spare them from these feelings, but it was their choice. For me personally, this highlighted the fact that God allowed them to exercise their free-will.

As a result, the author inspired me to take the lessons offered in this book seriously by being cautious in making crucial decisions that could have grave consequences. It might sound easy, but I know it will be quite an uphill task.

What I disliked about the book is the author’s inclination to speculate. He makes some presumptions in some parts of the book about the biblical content, which are instances of unadulterated conjecture. Most theories he presents in the book are impressive and convincing; however, there are other theories with little or no substantiation from the Bible to help us truly believe them. One thing that I found strange about the book is the fact that the font changed a couple of times throughout the book. The writing within this book is quite good and free of any major errors, but the font issue certainly isn’t enough to deter me from rating this book 3 out of 4 stars.

This book has a lot of wisdom; therefore, I recommend it to all readers looking for a sound Christian faith book. It would also be appropriate for Bible study groups or individuals who want to deepen their understanding of God. As an experienced Christian, this book reminded me that Jesus and His sacrifice is the reason why we have complete forgiveness.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Darlynn_Tebogo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Flight Medicine: the Pursuit of Excellence by Dan Turner

Post by Anthony__ »

I have read this book. Combs really explained the hidden facts in the Garden of Eden with biblical references. Great review!

Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Anthony__ wrote: ↑
23 Jan 2019, 09:28
I have read this book. Combs really explained the hidden facts in the Garden of Eden with biblical references. Great review!
Yes on some parts of the book he did. Thank you for stopping by Anthony. :D

Olayinka_Koli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Olayinka_Koli »

I saw the title and read the cover of the book and immediately thought that the cover art looks, to me, like an apple in the Garden of Eden; the vessel of temptation and sin wrapped deceptively in beauty. Sounds like an interesting read and great review by the way.

Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Olayinka_Koli wrote: ↑
23 Jan 2019, 22:01
I saw the title and read the cover of the book and immediately thought that the cover art looks, to me, like an apple in the Garden of Eden; the vessel of temptation and sin wrapped deceptively in beauty. Sounds like an interesting read and great review by the way.
The cover page and title is what drew me first to the book too. It's quite an informative read even though it was a bit speculative at times. Thanks for stopping by.

Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

The facts hidden in the Garden of Eden was simplified with references. Good book with a nice review too.

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Bond
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Poplar Hill by Stephen Ramey Glines

Post by Kibetious »

Nice review. I also read this book and I enjoyed it. It was very interesting. It is true that the tree being in the garden was a sign of freedom for the man. Without, there would have been no freedom. Thanks much for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: His Betrayals by Jerry Payne

Post by Cotwani »

What I liked about the book is how Combs explained why God put the tree in the middle of the Garden. He could have just as easily not put that temptation in the way.
Wow, great food for thought. I hope the author's reenactment, as you point out, didn't go overboard though. Thanks for the great review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Michgal 32
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Great review. I read the book and liked how Combs relates the different scriptures to explain points that one would easily overlook when reading the Bible

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Whisper In MY Ear
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I agree it'll greatly help when claims are substantiated, especially if meant to debunk widely-acceptable beliefs or doctrines. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Prisallen »

Great review! I have not read the book like most of the above people have, but it definitely sounds like a good book to read.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for this amazing review! I believe this book raises many important questions and offers well thought-out explanations interesting enough to engage a reader. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, their choice, and the origin of mankind can be inexhaustible source of inspiration for so many :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”