Review by britt13 -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
britt13
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by britt13 -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by britt13 » 22 Jan 2019, 12:55

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes, by Len Foley, is an adorably executed children's book. He gives a heartfelt and humorous dedication, which I think parents will appreciate as they start to read this story to their kids. Four Funny Potatoes is about various foods doing silly things, but the real stars are the Four Potatoes who are rehearsing. One of the potatoes is not quite like the others, but you will have to read to find out about that! This book would be good for children aged up to about five. It also would be valuable for group readings because of the opportunity for children to join in and sing the songs.

Aesthetically, this book is wonderful for children. The implementation of mixed media, using real photos of food but illustrating faces on them, is comical in a way children would revel in. It also has big bright text so that children can read with ease. Foley did a great job not only writing the text but arranging the pictures.

The story flows very well. I think that the break up of action in the middle of the book is favorable because it gives a chance for the story to swell again after. It uses mostly rhyme, which is great as well. I appreciated the use of alliteration because I think that it elevates the sentences, even if they are short and silly.

Most of the food featured is healthy; it is stupendous for children to see healthy food doing amusing things. Hopefully, this would translate into them wanting to eat healthy foods. This story also promotes individuality and talks about how it is okay to like yourself the way you are. This is a strong message interwoven into a seemingly silly tale.

I found the very end of the story a bit odd, but that is the only element that I did not love about this book. I do not have any children, but I do have a niece who is about to be born, and I would not hesitate to buy this book for her. I think that parents will enjoy reading this to their kids, and their kids will savor the experience. I wholeheartedly rate this a 4 out of 4 stars.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like britt13's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”