Review by Cotwani -- Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Getting Used to Success" by H.J. Shalev.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Generally, proverbs are profound in apt situations. In some cases, this 'profoundness' really hits close to home. Take H.J. Shalev’s story, for example. After decades of hard work in the accounting field, a journey that saw him rise to the high profile CFO position, he realized he was unfulfilled in his career. Unlike many people in this familiar dilemma, he took a radical step to find a career he would be not only happy in but also be able to maintain the standard of living, he and his family were accustomed to. As a result, Shalev has coached thousands of clients to reach breakthrough results in their businesses, management, and careers. Shalev has finessed and packaged the ‘winning formula’ his experiences taught him into this 314-page nonfiction book, Getting used to Success.

Whether you believe in evolution, creation, none or both, the resounding message of this book is that you have the potential to create the reality you want for yourself. Here, Shalev does not advocate for the reader deluding himself/herself into not seeing the prevailing circumstances as they are. Rather, he guides the reader through practical ways of getting around these circumstances, because Shalev believes that one’s habits, beliefs, and emotions determine his/her level of success. Shalev has condensed his lessons into a methodology he calls the CO-OP formula, derived from its components - Consciousness (awareness), self-Observation, Option (choice) and Practice. The take home is, if you want radical results in your life – whether personal and careerwise, you have to commit to radical changes in the way you do things.

The book is divided into 3 parts, which I roughly call the ‘why,’ the ‘how,’ and the practical tools to an effective radical change. Told in a conversational narration style, the author combines illustrations, scientific facts, spirituality, anecdotes and relevant quotes to bring the message excitingly home. Some of the quotes are profound, some witty and some almost outrageous. Sample this:
If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you are pissing on the present – Malachy McCourt
I enjoyed that the author highlighted some known principles in very amazing perspectives. I also liked the way he cast doubt to some widely believed paradigms. For example, did you know that people cannot multi-task unless some tasks are performed automatically, out of habit, by the unconscious mind? Shalev actually had an explanation for why it would seem women multi-task compared to men. I learned many new things including a different approach to weight loss! The author even gives a step by step guide to business planning. He has some input on how to control negative emotions and thoughts, amongst many other practical suggestions.

The most annoying thing about the book was that most illustrations did not correspond to the discussion at hand. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Despite Shalev also alluding to this saying, most of the tables, graphs and other illustrations in the book were either mismatched with the narration or missing altogether. In some instances, the cover page was placed in the position of an illustration. In addition, whenever he used a superscripted number for reference, the rest of the sentence after the number would also end up being superscripted. I had to keep adjusting the font to read the superscripted phrase. I have a feeling the copy I got was a draft and should not have been the final published book. Moreover, the book had many grammatical errors, mostly missing words or minor tense errors. For these reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

Undeniable, Getting used to Success is an invaluable source of information for anyone feeling stuck in the rut, or wanting to be a better person in some way. However, without the correct illustrations, anyone reading the book will feel shortchanged. It is quite off-putting to read a passionate discussion referring to an illustration that is obviously wrong, or even missing. It is for this reason that I am hesitant to recommend the book, in its current state, to anyone. But with a round of editing and correctly matched illustrations, I would urge everyone seeking means to any breakthrough in life to give the book a try. It is good for general knowledge too, even though the title seems mismatched to the content of the book!

Getting Used to Success
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thank you Connie for a very illuminating review. I wholeheartedly agree with this : "Whether you believe in evolution, creation, none or both, the resounding message of this book is that you have the potential to create the reality you want for yourself."
The quote you used is outrageous, granted, however, it is also true. We spend most of our time doing that! Good thing the author had the practical tools to counter it. However, the editing issues are a pity.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Ouch! It really drags you down when you expect a read to turn out to be good. Takes you way west ward. Thank you for your troubles! I'm not much of a text book subject interest geek.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I have seen this book as a review opportunity, but I have been avoiding it. I don't read much non-fiction and my type of success is whether or not my students learn applicable skills. It sucks when there is a disconnect between illustrations and surrounding text.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not a fan of self-help books. But I enjoyed your descriptive and well balanced review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like self-help books and this one also got my attention. I like its informative lessons but misplaced illustrations
are a serious issue. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 02:53 Thank you Connie for a very illuminating review. I wholeheartedly agree with this : "Whether you believe in evolution, creation, none or both, the resounding message of this book is that you have the potential to create the reality you want for yourself."
The quote you used is outrageous, granted, however, it is also true. We spend most of our time doing that! Good thing the author had the practical tools to counter it. However, the editing issues are a pity.
You are right Shrabastee, many times we forget to live in the present. Thanks for taking time to read and giving feedback!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 10:36 Ouch! It really drags you down when you expect a read to turn out to be good. Takes you way west ward. Thank you for your troubles! I'm not much of a text book subject interest geek.
Yes, it really is a bummer! Thanks for taking time to read and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Vscholz wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 13:53 I have seen this book as a review opportunity, but I have been avoiding it. I don't read much non-fiction and my type of success is whether or not my students learn applicable skills. It sucks when there is a disconnect between illustrations and surrounding text.

Thanks for the review!
Wow, hats off to you for your diligence in equipping students with applicable skills. Hope you hit success over and over! Yes, it sucks when the text and illustrations don't match. I appreciate your taking time to read and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sushan wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 03:32 I am not a fan of self-help books. But I enjoyed your descriptive and well balanced review 👍👍
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. Truly appreciate!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 11:38 I like self-help books and this one also got my attention. I like its informative lessons but misplaced illustrations
are a serious issue. Thanks for this honest review.
The book would be perfect if the illustrations matched the text. I hope the author rectifies this. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback, Sarah.
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not much of a self-help reader, as I don't believe in universal formulas for success or self-growth. However, I'm glad this book is inspiring and offers some good advice for people who might find it useful.
I loved the quote you used! Yes, its outrageous but also kind of true. I appreciate that kind of honesty.
The mismatch of the illustrations would drive me crazy, though.
Thanks for a very honest and analytical review.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I used to be a sucker for self-help and then fell out of it because it got repetitive and too esoteric and I felt like I was getting imbalanced in my worldview. This actually intrigues me, because it seems that the author has practical advice to go alongside his more abstract/philosophical views. The poor editing is a pity, though.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

From your review, I think the book is very informative. I can't wait to read it, probably the final published version
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I love that you use quotes to illustrate you review of any book. It really helps putting some of your words into context. Sometimes self-help books can be useful for those of us that need a little more motivation to get out of a rut. It's unfortunate to see that this one needs more editing to be readable in any meaningful way. Thanks for the honest review.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”