Review by Amazonia -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amazonia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amazonia.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Review by Amazonia -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Amazonia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Attuned" by Gary B. Haley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Attuned is a non-fiction story of an American with special abilities, running away from an Iran terrorist network group that wants him dead after the aftermath of a gun-fight that took place in the book’s prequel, The Attunement. I have not read The Attunement but will really love to, to enable me have a full grasp of what led to The Attuned.

The American, whose name was not revealed throughout the novel except once at an almost conclusive episode of the story, goes against all odds to ensure he survives even if it needs him using his capabilities to do so. He is accompanied by Kemal, also known as Al, an ICPO Detective and Carla, a FBI female Special Agent who he is somewhat in love with. The three are seen fleeing the Iranian desert on Camels, trying to get ahead of whoever could be trailing them. They get to a point where they had to part ways and the American was dropped off at a school with people like him, which unknown to him was a terrorist-brooding university.

When he realizes the conspiracy of the school authorities, he had to take them off with a sweep of his thought--a special natural ability he has which he uses mostly for defense and survival. He tries leaving the school premises but was challenged by an angry mob of students that will rather choose to die than see him leave alive. He manages to escape but has a very long hard way to go with no passport or identification. He is seen travelling through Turkmenistan with a new alliance from the university, who later had to retreat when they were confronted by the Militsiya-Turkmen police. He encounters several near-death perils as he journeys through Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Canada and then to New York, most of which he journeyed on foot.

I enjoyed reading The Attuned and really loved the detailed description of each scene and happenings, though it had several phrases written in Turkmen and German. The story line was smooth and intriguing, with lots of suspense and twists! A well plotted, vivid story that stirs up the Imagination- you could literally picture the settings in your mind’s eye. The author, Gary B. Haley is a fine writer. I really commend his efforts in writing a very well detailed interesting story. Also, the Editors were superb as the spellings and grammar were excellently done and put to good use with new words. I highly commend their professionalism.

The Attuned is an almost perfect story line, except that the author did not state how the protagonist was able to light every one of his camp fire,- did he use a match stick?, stones, lighter?, What? How he was able to gather woods were stated but how he lit it was not, which thereby leaves the reader wondering how the fire came to be. Nevertheless, it doesn’t take anything away from the story.

I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. It was a well written story with very interesting characters. And I would recommend anyone to read it especially If you love adventure with a little bit of mystery that stirs up the imagination and curiosity. It’s a book you’d really love and appreciate.

The Attuned

The Attuned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amazonia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am curious about what other things the protagonist could do with his exceptional ability-"a sweep of his thought". Sounds like the author did a really good job in delivering such an interesting story.
Varsha Pathiyil
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha-pathiyil.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Varsha Pathiyil »

A beautiful review. I love how you have briefed the book without giving away the plot at the same time making me intrigued.
I thought I should let you know know that I looked up the 1st book "The Attunement" on Amazon as soon as I finished reading the review. :D
I am new here on Onlinebookclub and you have helped set my own standards on reviewing,which is much higher now :)
Keep posting Amazonia.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

"The American." It sounds mysterious. Only the nationality is mentioned, yet the name remains secret until a crucial moment. The fact that the grammar and spelling are impeccable is a plus.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the intrigue in this story about an American with special abilities. The theme of tackling terrorism is also something I like in my stories. The trek through the Iranian desert that the spies undertake also arouses some sense of adventure. Thanks for the review.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. The story has an adventurous beginning around Eurasia. As mentioned in the review by Amazonia, this book should be definitely for readers who love adventure and mystery.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I like the mysterious sound of 'the American' and Im intrigued after reading the review. However, I would like to read the prequel first to have the full grasp of the story.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I'm not really sure if this kind of book is for me, but I am curious about the main character's "special ability" and the fact that it's based on a true story. I might want to read the prequel first, but I should still be able to read this without reading that. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It a very interesting and intriguing story of an American man who managed to escape from iron hands of terrorists. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Historical nonfiction books are one of my favorites. It also seems like this one will be fast-paced and full of action, which is a plus for me.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The novel does sound intriguing and full of suspense. I love the change of settings from Iran and Turkmenistan to Canada and America. I'd like to read more and find out how the protagonist will use his special powers and what will happen to Carla Bright once she reaches Canada. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Great job on review. This book sounds like it may be a good read. Some action with a little romance is definitely my kind of story. Will add this to my list to read. Congratulations on BOTD.
rogerthat
Favorite Book: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogerthat.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by rogerthat »

This story is gives the feeling of an adventure. I love stories with suspense. Thank you for an insightful review.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I hope this is a standalone book because I'm really into crime with a little bit of spice so I guess I will enjoy this. Thanks for a good review!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I like the premise of the book and the environment. They bring about the reality of the struggles. Good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”