Review by Shola0706 -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by Shola0706 -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by Shola0706 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Watchmaker's Doctor, the 35-year-old Anaya works as a doctor who cares for the elderly. Despite the decency of this job, she does not find it gratifying. Also, she battles with bipolar II, a condition she never sought treatment for and now it worsens by the day. One of her patients, Greg the watchmaker is from the lineage of Alexandria Augustine, the ancestor of a family who made watches and whose members stopped ageing after 50.

Greg had a special watch which he used severally to travel back in time. Seeing Anaya's predicament, Greg decides to help Anaya make sense of her life and uses his special watch to transport Anaya back in time. As Anaya relives her life, we learn more about her, her family and the decisions she made prior meeting Greg. More importantly, now that Anaya gets a second opportunity at life, the reader learns of Anaya's new journey, whether she would undo her worst mistakes or not. More so, the reader sees the consequences her new choices would have on the rest of her life, her friends and family.

Out of curiousity, I checked the personal website of the author, https://gmtschuilling.com. On this site, the author, GMT Schuilling, has connections with the Brain and Behaviour Research Foundation. This foundation helps people suffering from mental disorders to live productive and fulfilling lives. On the site, they also say that 10% of the proceeds of this book would go to the research foundation. This is commendable. By the way, also on the site, I found a number of pictures of how the author imagined the characters to be. They were all cute.

Hence, this book serves two functions. First is to provide readers with a captivating entertaining science fiction story. Secondly is to educate readers about the reality of mental disorders and the need to seek treatment early. This story targets busy adults who have little time to read fiction. As a result, the novella is easy to read and should be finished in two sittings.

This is a captivating story. It is well edited and almost flawless. If this is what you are looking for, this is the book for you. If you are looking to donate to a cause (the Brain and Behaviour Research Foundation) and have fun while donating, this is the book for you. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars as I loved everything about the book. I am most excited that the author promises a continuation of Anaya's story in The Watch Seeker. I cannot wait for its release.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shola0706's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”