Review by Jessacardinal -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Jessacardinal -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head...

Post by Jessacardinal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts is a self-help book written by Mark L. Wdowiak based on his own life experiences. Through thirty-two relatively short chapters, Wdowiak offers advice to those seeking to fulfill their lives with meaning and purpose. The author uses a no-nonsense approach to walk readers through the non-negotiable elements which fashion the successful life he now leads.

The first five chapters serve as an extended introduction to the rest of the book. The author then divides the remaining chapters into what he calls the three areas of critical consideration. Wdowiak claims living a successful life is as easy as the progression of learning to crawl, walk, and then run. On this basis, the author proceeds to expand upon each area throughout the rest of the book.

It is obvious Wdowiak is compassionate about the process which has worked so well for his own life. His advice to be appreciative of current circumstances serves as a valuable reminder to do just that. I also like the questions for consideration included in chapter ten and would have valued the format throughout all the chapters in the book.

Unfortunately, there are several things I dislike about this book. The number of errors throughout the text proves a lack of professional editing. Run-on sentences and poor sentence structure cause constant distractions. Some sentences lack punctuation. Clichés overabundantly serve as page fillers and detract from useful advice. Missing words and incorrect words, such as incite in place of entice, further support the need for a serious round of professional editing. The content is painfully repetitive. Random sections are underlined, causing annoying distractions. Some chapters vary in length, making it difficult to gage whether one has enough time to read more material. Lastly, I must note a discrepancy in the title depending on the platform the book is viewed. Kindle shows the title as If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts. Other variations use If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But’s. I use the version the author provides via Kindle in this review. However, in noticing this inconsistency, I find myself wondering what other changes may exist between editions.

This book attempts to deliver inspiring information on how to live your best life but is overshadowed by complete lack of editing. Furthermore, the author loses credibility by consistently using both curse words and biblical scriptures. This contradicting issue undermines the content, which should be both professional and trustworthy when dealing with the self-help genre. While some readers may find the cursing down to earth and relatable, others will be offended. Due to the issues discussed above, I am forced to rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. Regrettably, I would not recommend this book to anyone.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jessacardinal's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I can totally relate with all the issues you mention in your review. The rating seems to be well-explained too.

Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I did not hope this book was that bad. Thanks for the comprehensive and honest review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I read this book and agree with most of your conclusions. The author lays out a simple way for people to work at improving their outlook on life and work. The errors are annoying! Great review.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Every time I see this title, the apostrophe makes me cringe. I've avoided reading it because of that, and your review solidifies my reasoning. Poor grammar is a way to make life stink.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Samy Lax wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 22:54 I can totally relate with all the issues you mention in your review. The rating seems to be well-explained too.

Great review!
Thank you for your comment!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Sushan wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 09:48 I did not hope this book was that bad. Thanks for the comprehensive and honest review 👍👍
Thank you for taking the time to make a comment on my review. I appreciate it!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 10:56 I read this book and agree with most of your conclusions. The author lays out a simple way for people to work at improving their outlook on life and work. The errors are annoying! Great review.
Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate your comment!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Vscholz wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 14:39 Every time I see this title, the apostrophe makes me cringe. I've avoided reading it because of that, and your review solidifies my reasoning. Poor grammar is a way to make life stink.

Thanks for the review!
Your comment made me laugh! :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I've considered reading this one before, but the language would be a turn off for me.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The repetitiveness seems to be a downfall for many self-help books. I wouldn't mind the less than formal language, but I don't think I could stand what seems to me like a lack of focus and direction in the discussion. Thanks for this review!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Wow! Thank you for such a thorough review! I have read other reviews that gave this book 4 stars, and I just didn't agree with those. I appreciate your pointing out the errors and inconsistencies, especially with the use of both profanity and scripture. That gets under my skin. :doh:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

teacherjh wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 12:37 I've considered reading this one before, but the language would be a turn off for me.
The curse words are far and few between but still jump out at you when they appear. I appreciate the comment!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

inaramid wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 22:22 The repetitiveness seems to be a downfall for many self-help books. I wouldn't mind the less than formal language, but I don't think I could stand what seems to me like a lack of focus and direction in the discussion. Thanks for this review!
This book definitely lacks focus and direction. I would not recommend it. Thank you for the comment!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 08:53 Wow! Thank you for such a thorough review! I have read other reviews that gave this book 4 stars, and I just didn't agree with those. I appreciate your pointing out the errors and inconsistencies, especially with the use of both profanity and scripture. That gets under my skin. :doh:
I initially felt some anxiety over my rating, considering so many reviewers rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciate your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”