Review by DikshaMehta -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DikshaMehta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikshamehta.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by DikshaMehta -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by DikshaMehta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking at the title Heartaches, and it’s description, it is possible that anyone would think of it as a cliched romance novel with a lot of steamy scenes between the characters. It does include some cliched scenes, but any book would be incomplete without it anyway.

Our main characters mature in their own way and sense during the book. Anna Simmons, 19-year-old college student, comes under all the stereotypes a person can relate her to. She is first shown as a character with no spine and someone people, even her own step father and brother, walk on. With almost no say on her own life in the start of the book she is put in a situation by her step-brother, for his own selfish reasons, that scars her for life. Bullied, betrayed and confused, she is almost losing hope for any kind of normalcy from her life and yet somehow, she receives help and later affections from a person with his own set of problems and insecurities.

Rafe Brown, the hero of Anna and ex-army officer has endured his own personal hell during his stay in the army. With an abusive past after the death of his mother, Rafe turns to the army in hopes to get out of his life, but instead encounters even worse things. He returns from the army only to find Anna with almost a similar situation like him and decides to help her while fighting the attraction he had towards her. Both try to solve their problems together and eventually confess to their feelings.

Overall this book is only for the adult readers. Hot and steamy, H.M. Irwing has written this book as graphically as possible. Even the scenes describing the environment are so well written and the vocabulary of this book is extensive. I liked how the author developed Anna’s character in the story making her into a strong woman, both figuratively and literally. The pace of the story was a little fast, but nothing that did not make sense. I like that the characters grew together and were spontaneous yet understanding.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 because there were times, the story felt a little drab, but the action and romance kept it going. The book is well written and edited professionally. People who are into hot stuff, may like this book since the author has very explicitly wrote those scenes with a lot of kinky stuff. This book should really be kept away from children.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DikshaMehta's review? Post a comment saying so!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Great review! It sounds like a very steamy book, but with enough character development to actually have a story as well. I haven’t read any romance novels lately but this one sounds interesting enough
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”