Review by DC Brown -- There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Review by DC Brown -- There and Back There Again

Post by DC Brown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup presents a side of mental illness that most people will never see. Andrew is a self-described savant and victim of Asperger's syndrome.

What is a savant? A savant is a person who has significant mental disabilities and above average abilities in one specific area, like calculating days and dates of the calendar from the past or the future. Does this describe the author? He does seem to display significant mental disability. The first sections of his book are basically wild impassioned tirades, a virtual verbal onslaught of disconnected thoughts, feelings and observations. As for the superior abilities of a savant, I felt those were not evident.

When he describes himself as a victim of Asperger's, it seems as if he has some self-awareness of his inability to acknowledge reality. On the other hand, when he complains of the voices in his head, he seems to be unaware there could be a connection.

His personal experiences with hearing voices and the paranoia they incite are as difficult to read as they are to understand. He discusses several subjects like the Constitution, religion, sex, pets, and poetry in a disjointed and nonsensical way. It is challenging to ascertain his point. When he speaks of Poe and The Raven it seems that in his dissection of the poem he is making the poem his own. When he speaks of the Bible, he seems to be preaching.

It is difficult to differentiate the times he is talking to the voices in his head versus the times he is talking to his reading audience. It could be a fascinating book if there were some clarity on these types of issues. His thoughts seemed to stray from one thing to another. There did not seem to be any aim to the rambling. In a few instances, a subject was settled upon there did not seem to be a point made. It is possible the author could enlist the help of someone who could aid him articulate his feelings in a more understandable way. With work, this could be an intriguing study. People who hear voices are a rarity and most often connected to some terrible criminal activity in the public's mind. It would be helpful for people to see the pain and confusion associated with these voices.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I did not find the book well-edited. The inconsistencies were many. The language was foul. I could only recommend this book to those who are intensely interested in mental health issues and how those issues affect this man in particular.

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DC Brown's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I must say I love your style of writing a review. Asking questions and then answering them makes the reading process more fascinating and intriguing. Thanks for your review. I totally agree with your suggestions.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I must say I love your style of writing a review. Asking questions and then answering them makes the reading process more fascinating and intriguing. Thanks for your review. I totally agree with your suggestions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”