Review by klbradley -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by klbradley » 19 Jan 2019, 14:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Watchmaker’s Doctor is a modern-day fiction novella written by G.M.T. Schuilling and published in early 2018. Featuring the genres of Science Fiction and Time Travel, this young adult novella is the first in the Erase and Rewind series. At under 200 pages, I considered the story to be a quick but intriguing read.

The main character in the story is Anaya, a thirty-five-year-old doctor with a history of Bipolar Disorder. Although it seems she has experienced a long and difficult road in life, she has dedicated her life to helping others at an aging care facility. Anaya cares for a man named Gregory, a retired watchmaker, who gives her what could be the chance of a lifetime. Tragedy strikes and Anaya finds herself the victim of a pedestrian and motor vehicle accident. Moments later, she is back with Gregory and he is explaining to her that she can now have the option of going back in time and re-living her life. Taking her back to her high school self, Anaya is faced with the decision of making different life decisions that will forever alter the future. Will she make the best choices for herself and those around her, or will she make even more mistakes and not live her life to the fullest?

I became fond of the main character in the story, as her thoughts and ability to communicate with others felt real and genuine. Her frustrations about her mental illness were realistic and her positive attitude towards trying to make her life better was inspiring. Throughout the reading, I constantly considered what I would do differently if I were given the same option of going back and starting over with what I know today. Despite being a novella, the story is well-paced, allowing readers enough time to develop an understanding of the characters and each of their stories.

I was pleased with the editing of the book, as I found no errors while I was reading. It is always a much more pleasurable reading experience when I am able to read without pause due to errors, and definitely something I look for when reviewing a book.

As a reader who enjoys books that cause pause and make me think about what I would do if I were in the character’s situation, I was intrigued by how this story played out. The descriptions of locations and other characters felt much like a movie, due to having well-detailed descriptions that allowed me the opportunity to picture them perfectly. I am pleased to rate The Watchmaker’s Doctor 4 out of 4 stars. I’m looking forward to what the next story in the series will offer and liked that the story ended with an inward pull, making me even more interested in what will come next. I would recommend this novella to readers who enjoy stories involving time travel, as that seems to be the main theme. As a reader’s discretion, I must mention that there is specific and numerous mention of mental illness due to the main character’s battle with Bipolar Disorder.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”