Review by Oddball -- The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oddball
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oddball.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Review by Oddball -- The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach ...

Post by Oddball »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement" by Anthony Simola.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is intelligence?

What is the human mind?

How do we improve it?

Anthony Simola takes on the task of enlightening the reader on various aspects of the "human intelligence" that we're supposedly very familiar with. The average person almost always has an idea or two, largely untested, on what he could do to improve his cognitive function a bit more effectively and almost everytime they're making guesses.

The Roving Mind, A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement is split into 3 sections by the author; the first of which is Foundations of Intelligence, in this section the author goes on and on about the fundamentals of human intelligence and then presents ways by which we can improve it. In the second section, The Plastic Human mind, we're shown the similarities in thought processes of notable thinkers like Tesla and Von Neumann, with qualitative ideas and explanations on how to master one's energy, effortlessly motivate oneself, etc.

The third part, Marching to the Singularity, goes on to discuss the future of cognitive enhancement and possible effects on human existence, here we are informed mainly about technological advancements that may improve our cognitive capabilities in the near future, their applicability and otherwise.

The Roving Mind, A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola is a decidedly purposeful book written in easily understood diction and beautifully edited to deliver as promised by the title.

The book gets a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for its explicit beauty and eye-opening content. Its pages reveal to us things we ought to know and remind ourselves at every opportunity.

I especially have a liking for the first section of the book, Foundations of Intelligence, which leads the reader to realize just how much of ourselves we are yet to utilize, we're advised to study and practice, observe and learn at every available turn.

I highly recommend this book to those interested in thinking more effectively and qualitatively. Students, workers and everyone else, we all need it.

The book is written in such a way that at certain points the reader will need to do a little independent research and reading to fully understand some technical words and terms used in putting points across. I have to admit that at some point the technical words almost made it seem like I was attempting to understand a medical journal and I nearly dropped the book, but all in all, it is a good read, an intellectual one. And I'm glad I picked up this book.

The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Oddball's review? Post a comment saying so!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

This sounds like a thought provoking read and I might learn something to improve my effectiveness and efficiency! Thank you for the recommendation! :)
"Growth is the essence of life."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”