Review by timd -- There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Review by timd -- There and Back There Again

Post by timd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup appears to be a random collection of essays and musings about the author’s personal experiences and thoughts. The introduction is a brief and vague summary of important points about himself. Chapter one begins with strange descriptions of annoying voices that he continually hears in his head, and what they say to him.

Following this revelation, is a discussion about the Constitution of the United States of America and the individual’s right to personal privacy. His own rights have apparently been violated. Unnamed individuals and the US government are mentioned in this regard. At this stage, it is difficult to determine whether he also blames them for the voices in his head but he does mention that he has evidence that the FBI and the Navy SEALS were unsuccessfully used against him.

Addressing this issue and proposing an amendment to the Constitution, the author gives a website address for readers to support him with this campaign and suggests a donation of fifty dollars. This is followed by a discussion of the works of Edgar Allen Poe and particularly of the literary logic involved with the writing of the poem, The Raven. Finally, the conclusion consists of several chapters about each of his pet dogs.

In an attempt to understand this book, I read it several times and was still at a loss to discern its purpose. The author seems to consider his situation as a subject of national concern as he proposes meetings with himself and members of the government and the president in order to resolve it. Despite somewhat lengthy tirades about his alleged persecution, it is still not made clear what his occupation or his problem actually is.

The writing style is chaotic and interspersed with foul language and mysterious threats and allegations. The section about Edgar Allen Poe is well written and interesting, but it is difficult to understand its relevance to the rest of the book.

In the conclusion of the book, the final chapters about his dogs are charming but do not seem to fit in with the rest of the book. Although the author appears to be able to write convincingly, any coherency to his arguments are severely damaged by a lack of sequence, facts, and context. The book is not well organised and has no logical structure.

A generally belligerent tone of writing loses any credibility with the liberal use of foul language. The author’s personal quandary appears to be a mystery with no elaboration other than vague references which are repeated throughout the text. These references are usually accompanied by insulting or threatening remarks.

Readers who enjoy unlikely conspiracy theories may be able to relate to the mysterious situation experienced and described by the author. The tirade of derogatory language and remarks will upset sensitive individuals. A forward or introduction discussing the purpose of this book would definitely be of some value.

There is an extensive number of errors in punctuation, grammar and spelling which I picked up. It is obvious that this book requires detailed editing and extensive revision. I have given it a rating of 1 out of 4 stars.

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like timd's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

This review is so well-done and perfectly organized. I could use it as a sample when writing my own reviews. I love how you've analyzed in detail every part of the book. I also gave this book a 1 out of 4 stars and I can only agree with everything that you've said. Thanks for your review, I really enjoyed reading it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”