Review by Jsovermyer -- Invisible Me by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Review by Jsovermyer -- Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Invisible Me" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Invisible Me, by H. M. Irwing, is a cross between a young-adult fantasy novel and an adult erotic romance. The first half of the book is the light-hearted, sweet story of an overweight teenage girl who has a romantic crush on an older man. Freddie Lynch, nicknamed Fatty, fantasizes about Edwin Carr, the rich older cousin of her best friend, Kyle. To quickly lose weight and get his attention, she mistakenly mixes her diet shake with her crazy chemist father’s test formula. The result is devastating. After almost dying, she becomes invisible.

This part of the story is sad, yet comical. There are some very funny scenes like when Freddie goes out completely naked so that she can spy on her friends. It was also humorous when she covered herself completely wearing gloves, body paint, a wig and sunglasses so that she could work in an office. I could just imagine how she looked and what her co-workers thought about the strange new girl working in their building. I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the book and thought that it was very cleverly written.

In the second half, the story turned into a very adult romantic thriller. I felt like I was reading a completely different novel. It was not what I was expecting. There are many graphic and erotic sex scenes. Because of this, I would recommend this only to adults who like steamy romances. It is not written for young adults or children. The story would have been much better if the sex scenes had been less descriptive.

Freddie Lynch is a very well-written character. She is funny and clever with a cheeky sense of humor. She is a lovable loser with which most readers can relate. She represents a classic example to show beauty on the inside of a person is more important than beauty on the outside. The principal male character, Edwin Carr, is exactly the opposite of Freddie. He is wealthy, handsome and “hotter than hot.” However, I also found him shallow, serious and petty. His character did not appeal to me at all, and I did not understand why Freddie was so infatuated with him. Also, I did not like the age difference between the characters. Freddie had her eighteenth birthday in the story, and she even commented on being “legal” now. Edwin was ten years older and still remembered Freddie as a fat little girl. Their love interest made me uncomfortable.

One extraordinary thing that I liked about this book was its cover. The cover art is beautiful, making the book very appealing. The picture of the ghostly teenage girl holding the flower bouquet drew my attention and was, in part, why I selected the book to review. I could not find the artist’s name in the book, but I appreciate their work.

H. M. Irwing is an Australian author and she peppers her writing with many colorful expressions like “sunnies” for sunglasses, “lift” for an elevator and “bloody boring.” She additionally uses the British spelling of some words such as “neighbour” and “splendour.” I thought this added to the story making it more interesting. However, there were also many other misspelled words, missing commas and other writing mistakes which were distracting.

Invisible Me is an entertaining and creative story. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys erotic and romantic novels. However, I did not enjoy that part of the story. Because of the numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes, I cannot give this book a superior rating. I am giving Invisible Me, by H. M. Irwing, 2 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed only half of the book.

Invisible Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jsovermyer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

The plot of Invisible Me seems engaging. Sad.... if the book was grammatically perfect🙁. Plus I am also afraid of erotic scenes, that's why I might not pick this book. Thanks for a helpful review.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

I liked the beginning of the book, but about half-way through it completely changed. Sad.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I like yiung adult novels but erotic novels are not my genre. Wish it had no erotic scenes and i could read it.
Thanks a lot for tge review Jsovermyer ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

I also love young-adult books and that's what I thought it was from the beautiful cover picture. I was surprised and disappointed when I found out it was more of an romance. Maybe if I knew beforehand, I would have liked it better.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”