Review by Gemma_15 -- Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by Gemma_15 -- Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by Gemma_15 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Protostar" by Braxton A. Cosby.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prostar is a book that I was originally looking forward to reading. It’s the story of a Bounty Hunter/Prince from another planet named William and a girl named Sydney from Earth. William chooses to seek out Sydney in order to assassinate her because of the potential threat that she poses to the universe. Along the way, William has to make some hard decisions as to what is truly important to him, love or honor. Star crossed lover stories are some of my favorite stories.

It is obvious that Braxton A. Cosby has put in a lot of thought, effort, and research into the building of his story. It’s easy to see the complex web of interactions within each of the worlds in the book. With that being said, the story has some painfully large flaws. Many of the relationships between the characters feel forced. I found a lot of the conversations to be disjointed and pointless. The motivations behind some character’s actions are confusing at best. Some would have a thought or action and I would think, “Why?” or “‘How did they come to that illogical conclusion?” There is even an instance when a scientist, who obviously understands physics, is baffled by how a helicopter works. These things made the book hard to get through.

There are some redeeming qualities to the book, but they are far and few between. There was some colorful banter that was entertaining. The changing points of views was a nice touch to me. There are many people that would be turned away from a book that is written from multiple characters, but I personally love that in a book. And, there was a spot early on in the book that I thought was quite ingenious. As William is entering Earth’s atmosphere he is bombarded with space debris. In many sci-fi series, I have seen the space junk used as something that aliens see as despicable or even horrifying that humans would do, but that is not what this author does. William sees it as a defense mechanism for Earth. He panics that the objects taking down his ship are intentionally placed there to prevent him from entering the atmosphere.

I would recommend this book to a young adult audience above the age of 12 years old. The language can get quite advanced and some of the science is too complex for young children. I found a lot of grammar errors along with the problems with the story itself that I mentioned earlier that prevent me from recommending this book to an older audience.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of many factors. If it wasn’t for the redeeming qualities of this book I wouldn’t have made it through. The story is just not realistic enough for me. I don’t mean to say that a sci-fi book should be realistic in the sense that the world is like our own now. I mean that the characters actions are unrealistic and the action scenes are lacking in sensible movements. It is poorly edited and that makes it very distracting to read. But, I couldn’t help but admire the uniqueness of this book so I have to give it a hand for that. I was disappointed, but it wasn’t horrible.

Protostar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gemma_15's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
Hunterzero
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hunterzero »

Thanks for this review. I'm always looking for characters that I can get to know, and pointing out that there can be some illogical decisions made really breaks the immersion of the story. Even though there are some redeeming qualities I don't know if I'd be able to personally get over the character development holes. I also try to go for books that are more aimed at an older audience. This book will most likely be a pass for me.
Alicia and Karl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alicia and Karl »

Not a big fan of romance stores but this one might be a good one
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I just finished reading and reviewing this sci-fi /fantasy and i absolutely agree with you that the actions were unrealistic and unnatural. And the science was difficult for me even as an adult😀
Thanks a lot for the review Gemma☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”