Review by CMartinez301 -- The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CMartinez301
Favorite Book: The Kings' Assassin
Currently Reading: Zeus Defied
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmartinez301.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Review by CMartinez301 -- The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by CMartinez301 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Kings' Assassin" by Ed Cannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kings` Assassin by Ed Cannon is an adventure story full of magic and mystery. The main character is Sillik. He is the youngest son of the King. He has mastered the Seven Laws of Magic. He has left home and gone abroad to learn about the world. The book begins with him receiving a disturbing message from his father. Upon his father’s request, he returns home, to the city of Illicia. Illicia is described as a beautiful city in a desert. Sadly, upon Sillik’s arrival, he finds his father and both of his brothers murdered. He is only willing to take the title of Crown Prince, because he is afraid he will be murdered.

The author describes the world as being run by The Seven Gods of Law. These good Gods battle constantly with the Nine Gods of Darkness. There is great detail throughout the book regarding each law. Men and woman are both taught the laws, and to be warriors. Briana has the title of Sword Master. She is the best swordsman in the city and she protects the king. She is one of Sillik´s main advisors. The other main characters are on Sillik’s council. The King has 49 council members, but Sillik only confides in a few.

Sillik´s father, before he died, had started piecing together the movements of the Nine Gods. Sillik and his inner circle, obtain the information from his father, and figure out who is behind all of this. They discover that the Nine Gods of Darkness are on the rise. With that information, Sillik sets off on a quest. He takes objects of power to aid him in his journey. He also has one of the Seven Gods watching over him. The rest of the book details his adventures and wars, battling the cities that appear to have been taken over by the Nine Gods of Darkness.

This book is staged as the first book in a series. It gives you an excellent understanding of the world and characters the author has created. It also has a plot full of possible adventures for future books. This book is well written, with minimal grammatical errors. I only found one. It is very easy to read and follow along with the characters. I enjoyed learning about the magic and creatures of the land. It has a detailed map in the beginning and descriptions of all the different places. I really appreciate the equality given to women in this book. I love strong women. This book gives not just one, but several strong female characters.

The only thing I was not satisfied with, were the hints at romance that never seemed to go anywhere. I do feel the romance could have been expanded on. I am one for a good love story, and this book could have had romance intertwined. However, the way it is makes it a pure adventure story.

I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed this story a lot. The descriptions of the places and characters are really well done. I enjoyed learning about the laws, and the adventures were excellently described. The spells and battle moves really gave you a clear picture in your mind of what was happening. I did not give it a 3 because I think the book was correctly categorized, so even though the romances are not described, it is not expected by the reader. I would recommend this for adults that enjoy mysteries and stories with castles and wizards.

The Kings' Assassin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CMartinez301's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”