Review by Zhariah -- Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Zhariah -- Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Zhariah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spyder Bones" by Oliver Phipps.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps is a metaphysical and visionary fantasy book. Coming in at 255 pages, it is an exciting tale that deals with the good versus evil conflict, with the surprising inclusion of vampires and werewolves.

It is the summer of 1969. Aaron Prescot, aka Spyder Bones, has surprisingly re-enlisted in the army as a medic following a voluntary tour of duty two years earlier as a cavalryman. Sent to Vietnam, Spyder splits his time between the army, playing guitar, and spending time with his Vietnamese girlfriend Ping. His life follows this rhythm until the day he is critically injured in the jungle, leaving him in a coma on the brink of death for months.

While in a coma, Spyder is exposed to the eternal fight between good and evil that controls all conflicts that take place in the mortal world. He is recruited as a soldier in this ultimate war and gets to work as soon as he awakens. Following seemingly vague clues, while wondering if his experience was real, Spyder travels to New Orleans to begin his mission. While there, he encounters demonic souls possessing people, some of whom have the attributes of vampires and werewolves.

Although Spyder Bones begins as a standard war book, it soon turns into an enthralling read about the ultimate good versus evil conflict. Oliver Phipps has a simplistic yet succinct style of writing. He doesn't bog down the story with unnecessary explanations, but the reader is never left in the dark as everything you need to know is explained simply but well. The story follows a consistent pace, never feeling slow or boring. The war scenes at the beginning of the book were intense, and I found myself straining my ears to hear the slightest noises in the jungle that the army men were listening for.

I enjoyed reading about the laid-back lifestyle of the late 60s and early 70s. The character of Sunny perfectly personified the era, and her delightful and honest soul made her my favourite character in the book. Spyder's character was also intriguing, and I was pleased to see him constantly evolving throughout the book.

The only downside to the book is the grammatical mistakes. Most of the mistakes are missing commas and periods, or misplaced quotation marks. In a few instances, the incorrect word is used - three times I found 'arraignment' used instead of 'arrangement'. These mistakes didn't detract from the book, but an additional round of editing would clear up the few issues.

Although the mistakes weren't distracting, there were enough to show that the book hasn't been professionally edited. For this reason, I have to rate Spyder Bones 3 out of 4 stars. It is written simply, but I still found myself fully immersed in the story. I would recommend this book to fantasy fans and those looking for a different spin on the classic good versus evil theme. Sex, drugs, alcohol, violence, and death are all present in this book, for this reason, I wouldn't recommend this book to younger readers.

Spyder Bones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zhariah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

When I started reading your review I found myself straining to capture visions of Vietnam from my travels. As I read on, I see the book had you straining to live it audibly. I find I love reading war stories and am intrigued to see how this could be combined with the fantasy era.

Shame about the mistakes but I may be able to see past them.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Zhariah

Post by Zhariah »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 13:13 When I started reading your review I found myself straining to capture visions of Vietnam from my travels. As I read on, I see the book had you straining to live it audibly. I find I love reading war stories and am intrigued to see how this could be combined with the fantasy era.

Shame about the mistakes but I may be able to see past them.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review :) I didn't find the mistakes distracting, but I did notice them. I would have given the book 4 out of 4, but the review process won't let you do that if you find 10 mistakes.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

A war book that segues into a fantasy theme. Now that sounds intriguing. I'm not usually a fan of war books, but I love books containing aspects of the paranormal. Sounds like this one might be right up my alley! It's going onto my TBR shelf immediately!! Thanks for the great review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Zhariah

Post by Zhariah »

Kelyn wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 13:57 A war book that segues into a fantasy theme. Now that sounds intriguing. I'm not usually a fan of war books, but I love books containing aspects of the paranormal. Sounds like this one might be right up my alley! It's going onto my TBR shelf immediately!! Thanks for the great review!!
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my review :) I was pleasantly surprised by how many paranormal aspects there were to this book. It's an easy read too. I hope you let me know what you thought of it once you work your way through your TBR shelf.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

A fantasy!!! Am in😀. I think it would be a great read but there are erotic scenes as you said and that can be irritating but i can ignore them for a good fantasy read. Thanks a lot for the review Zhariah☺😊
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”