Review by Swat3737 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Penin...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Review by Swat3737 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Penin...

Post by Swat3737 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What an interesting concept for a series of books for young readers! Inca, the main character, is a cat who is also a detective solving mysteries and having adventures around the world. She has a team of partners that include hamsters, humans, dogs and more cats. In Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula, Inca and her team travel to Korea for a cooking competition. They encounter obstacles along their way and work together to resolve them. This is the 8th book in the series authored by R.F. Kristi. The book does a fantastic job of introducing Korean history and language at an appropriate level for the intended audience.

The best part of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula is the illustrations. The animals’ personalities are evident in their adorable outfits. One cat, Fromage, is French, sassy and wears a beret. The drawings of Korea and cherry blossom trees were beautiful, and some of the pictures were very humorous. The book also introduces children to advanced vocabulary like “diminutive” and “patisserie.” There are well-written analogies and metaphors throughout the book that make it an entertaining teaching tool for both parents and educators.

I was impressed with how R.F. Kristi included the divide between North Korea and South Korea without discussing politics that would be overwhelming for children. She gave a brief history, mentioned the demilitarized zone and showed the difficulty of moving between the two countries. And she did this in an uplifting but honest way. It also is well-timed right after the recent Olympics in Seoul. I also love that she defined Korean and French words throughout the book to add a multicultural lesson.

As much as I enjoyed this book, I cannot rate it higher than 2 out of 4 stars. This book needs editing. The plot lacks structure and a clear narrative. It is difficult to keep track of the sequence of events because sentences often do not connect to each other. The book starts by introducing the cast of characters but there are too many to remember. The concept and illustrations are wonderful, but the book needs to be refined.

I would recommend this book to readers between the ages of 7 and 9. It is perfect for any children that love animals, adventure and geography. I think parents would also love following Inca oer adventures throughout the series and this could be a great book for an older child to read with their younger sibling.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves

Like Swat3737's review? Post a comment saying so!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read the 7th book of this series and found it very funny yet informative. I understand that the multitude of characters need some time to get used to. What surprises me is the poor editing, because the book I read contained ome error at most. Guess this book needs another trip to the editor's. Thanks for the candid review!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I adore the Inca series! It is sometimes difficult to track the grammar because it is written in a journal style. I recommend you read the other books just for fun.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Thanks for the honest and balanced review. I get this as a difficult read 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Swat3737
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:35 I have read the 7th book of this series and found it very funny yet informative. I understand that the multitude of characters need some time to get used to. What surprises me is the poor editing, because the book I read contained ome error at most. Guess this book needs another trip to the editor's. Thanks for the candid review!
I will definitely have to check out the other books in the series because it was such a cute idea!!!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Swat3737

Post by Swat3737 »

Vscholz wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 14:51 I adore the Inca series! It is sometimes difficult to track the grammar because it is written in a journal style. I recommend you read the other books just for fun.
I definitely will check them out!
Swat3737

Post by Swat3737 »

Sushan wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 03:28 Thanks for the honest and balanced review. I get this as a difficult read 👍👍
Thanks for your comment!
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

Thank you for your review. I love books with amazing illustrations and I think a book about cats that are personified would appeal very much to children.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”