Review by Rangerkay -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Rangerkay -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Rangerkay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin is sci-fi novel that is heavy on the science side of things.

Jennifer Hero, a captain leading in the war against the Syndos, is burned out by the battle. The Syndos are a race of genetically-altered humans that have one goal: to exterminate the Naturals. Jennifer leads a small task force of these unaltered humans in a goal to distribute a virus to quell the instincts of the Syndos. Her lover, Zexton, had created a time machine that would allow the Naturals to end the war with the Syndos before it had even begun. While sending her small task force back 300 years, the group comes under attack. Using the violent attack as her chance, Jennifer decided to go back to the year 2015.

This book started out with promise. When a book markets itself as science fiction, heavy on the science, you expect a gripping plot line backed by advanced methods not yet seen in science. 30th Century: Escape failed in that promise. I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

While this book promised a thrilling ride through time with gripping characters, I found it falling flat by Chapter three. It was exceptionally edited, but that was not enough to keep the formal speech and jumping plot from keeping my interest. I enjoyed the natural expression and intricate relationships in the first three chapters of the novel. Jennifer's quest was one that readers could easily identify with: save her people, heal from the death of her lover. A quest that should have been enjoyable to follow.

By Chapter six, Jennifer felt like the 'perfect' character. Her speech was rigid, her hair perfect, and even her actions left me wondering if she was even human. Could this genius woman really be so perfect? Even her slip into the year 2015 felt too easy. A rich family had been lost at sea for years. The name of the daughter? Jennifer Hero.

In the end, the plot took far too many leaps for me. I felt that it had strayed from the true purpose of the plot and devolved into Jennifer's sexual romps with multiple characters. The speech felt rigid to the point of being frozen. While I could originally relate to Jennifer's insecurities, the end of the book left me loathing the perfect and manufactured feel of her true character. This is why I rated a book with such a promising start 1 out of 4 stars.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rangerkay's review? Post a comment saying so!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I appreciate your honesty! This sounded like a fascinating concept and I haven't read any good sci-fi lately, but after reading your review I won't be choosing this one!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

Swat3737 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 21:51 I appreciate your honesty! This sounded like a fascinating concept and I haven't read any good sci-fi lately, but after reading your review I won't be choosing this one!
I'm glad you found my review helpful! I was excited and expecting an action packed sci-fi novel along the lines of Anne McCaffrey's To Ride Pegasus books. Sadly, that was not the case. Towards the end I feel that it devolved into a romance. If it had been marketed as a romance, it would have been a very different review.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Rangerkay wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 18:35
Swat3737 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 21:51 I appreciate your honesty! This sounded like a fascinating concept and I haven't read any good sci-fi lately, but after reading your review I won't be choosing this one!
I'm glad you found my review helpful! I was excited and expecting an action packed sci-fi novel along the lines of Anne McCaffrey's To Ride Pegasus books. Sadly, that was not the case. Towards the end I feel that it devolved into a romance. If it had been marketed as a romance, it would have been a very different review.
I agree! A couple books I’ve reviewed would’ve been so much more enjoyable if they were marketed differently because you go in with that expectation. Or you’re waiting throughout the book for it to go somewhere that it never reaches.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Yes, I do agree that it strayed from the purpose of the plot. I almost rated it as 1 too but I guess some people would like it. I would, however, not recommend it to anyone I know. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”