Review by BeatrixPotter -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by BeatrixPotter -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head...

Post by BeatrixPotter »

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts: A No-Nonsense Guide to Happiness and Success by Mark L. Wdowiak is a self-help book with an unusual title that seems designed to grab your attention. I must say the crude allusion made in the pun was more of a turnoff for me personally.

Getting past the first impression, I found some nuggets inside. What I liked most about the book was when the author shared personal stories about his own life experiences and struggles. He had to grow up quickly due to his marriage while he was still in high school. He is candid about his feelings of frustration and resentment of others who were more successful than he was. When an older man befriended him and became a mentor to him, a turning point occurred. He then began to work on his own self-development, and as he did so his life was turned around. Gradually he achieved more success and his personal relationships improved.

He went from being a roustabout to a success in life, and he attributed the change to his improved attitude, positive thinking and learning to overcome his negative outlook. He learned to express gratitude for what he had learned from his struggles and for his success. I was curious though to know more details about his life than what he shared-- what his occupation was, and how he came to succeed in that-- than what was in the book.

This book would appeal to individuals who are frustrated in life and possibly looking for a coach to guide them in making some changes. They may find some inspiration here.

The author writes in a lecturing tone that is often condescending to the reader. Asking you to initial the end of every chapter seriously seems like an exercise for twelve year olds. His style is repetitive, hammering away on the lack of responsibility and making excuses. It is loaded with clichés, but lacking in specifics on how to improve. Most adults learn quickly that the rent must be paid, and there are consequences if it isn't. Financial and relational success may be more illusive, however, in a world where change is constant. The circumstances that hinder one's achievement and success in life are varied and complex. There is no one size fits all formula that works for everyone.

Overall, there is a lack of clarity in the writing, making it hard to follow the author's presentation that at times is incoherent. I found the book more boring than challenging. I noted numerous errors of syntax and grammar. For that reason and the issues noted above, I gave it 2 out of 4 stars.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BeatrixPotter's review? Post a comment saying so!
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Bubbled90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bubbled90 »

I actually loved the book :techie-studyinggray: , I mean he did go on and off of the road of focus when it came to breaking down certain things or at moments you might feel like you've read the same thing 5 times lol but overall the author really had good intentions and good points throughout the book while also trying to perceive a book of relatable or comfortable cotent long story short I was actually able to get some valuable information from this book and I hope others can too 💞

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”