Review by T_stone -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by T_stone -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by T_stone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks! is a children's illustrated book written by Len Foley. This story is about a book that oozes out awful odors. The author directs his readers to “go on and take a whiff because something stinks about this book.” This book contains twenty-seven pages and was published by New Horizon Health, Inc. in 2017.

Sigfried realized something stank in his room; he set out to discover exactly what it was. He soon found that the smell came from his book. Sigfried still wondered why his book could smell so badly. Could the smell be from the stains left by siblings Sherman and Piper, his dog Oscar, or his uncle Kato? — he pondered.

Foley's writing style is simple and easy to understand. The colorful fonts used throughout the book are eye-catching, and the pictorial illustrations are delightful. These make the book attractive to kids. Within those few pages, Foley ably described 25 smelly items, including Sigfried's eight pairs of socks.

I like that Foley allowed his audience to decide what item stank the most. The cadence of the language in this story will make children enjoy it and understand it better.

There are a few things I don’t like about the book. It contains some words which kids will find hard to comprehend without the help of an adult. Some of them are kraut, whiff and dog slobber. Moreover, the pages in the book are not numbered. A kid may find it difficult to refer to a page.

Although this is a short children’s story, I found a couple of punctuation errors in it. Also, while describing Sigfried’s socks, Foley wrote the names of each pair of socks in the color they were, except for the blue socks, which he wrote in red.

I recommend this book to parents who have kids between the ages of three and seven. It will help them teach their children about the importance of good hygiene and healthy living. I don’t recommend this book to parents and kids who find reading about dirty stuff disgusting.

Taking everything into consideration, I give Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it an excellent rating because of the negatives earlier stated. I also didn’t assign it a lower rating because it was straightforward and fun to read.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like T_stone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Len Foley writes (and illustrates) unusual children's books that are a lot of fun. He has a penchant for surprising endings. Even at my age, I still enjoy kiddie books, especially those with attractive pictures. I look forward to experiencing more books by Foley.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

I read the book too, It was my first time reading a kiddies book. Lots of colors will definitely attract kids and keep them reading. Good review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This is definitely one of my favorite children's books. The rhyming schemes used by the author was the highlight of the book for me. It also has an underlying message about cleanliness. I also think this review will be very helpful to readers looking to pick an excellent children's book. Nice job.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I have read and reviewed this book as well. I agree with you on most points.

Thank you for the great review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Kajori50 wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 06:55 I have read and reviewed this book as well. I agree with you on most points.

Thank you for the great review.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

prospero360 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 15:20 This is definitely one of my favorite children's books. The rhyming schemes used by the author was the highlight of the book for me. It also has an underlying message about cleanliness. I also think this review will be very helpful to readers looking to pick an excellent children's book. Nice job.
I agree with you even though I didn't like the book when I read reviews of some co-reviewers, I eventually found it amusing and dirty. :wink2: Thanks :tiphat:

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Willy 1 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 08:03 I read the book too, It was my first time reading a kiddies book. Lots of colors will definitely attract kids and keep them reading. Good review.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks!

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 19:18 Len Foley writes (and illustrates) unusual children's books that are a lot of fun. He has a penchant for surprising endings. Even at my age, I still enjoy kiddie books, especially those with attractive pictures. I look forward to experiencing more books by Foley.
This is my first time of reviewing a kid's book; it wasn't so bad afterall. Looking forward to reading more books from the author. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rob White
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I love Len Foley! I do not have little ones but I still enjoy a silly, easy, fun read. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Vscholz wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 13:58 I love Len Foley! I do not have little ones but I still enjoy a silly, easy, fun read. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I'm looking forward to reading other books from him. Thanks for your comment :tiphat:

Rob White
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I've read many reviews of this book, and it's always a pity to see that there are still errors present, since it's a children's book. Still, it seems like a good resource for children. Thanks for the comprehensive review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Its a shame that this short 'smelly' book has errors. I hope children will not get confused. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

gen_g wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 21:15 I've read many reviews of this book, and it's always a pity to see that there are still errors present, since it's a children's book. Still, it seems like a good resource for children. Thanks for the comprehensive review!
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your feedback.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Cotwani wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 13:41 Its a shame that this short 'smelly' book has errors. I hope children will not get confused. Thanks for the great review!
I don't think the errors would stop them from enjoying it though. Thanks for your comment.

Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”