Review by sarahmarlowe -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by sarahmarlowe -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder in Memory, by Mike Thorne, is a down-home murder mystery with a unique psychological twist.

Harper is a small Southern college town where nothing much out of the ordinary happens. That is, until students begin being murdered. Police Chief Grady Noland searches for the killer, but will he find the right person – even by the end of the book? Heather Conley is killed on campus, and everyone becomes a suspect. But what that really means is that there is no primary suspect. Chief Noland conducts interviews and plays politics with the mayor, not knowing that one of the people he has turned to for help is the killer himself.

There are many things to like about Murder in Memory. The book is very well-edited, and I found only a couple of errors. The beginning is fast-paced and interesting, quickly engaging the reader in the plot. I like that the author introduces the timeframe in the prologue, letting the reader know that the book is set before DNA testing and cell phones. We think much differently now with the availability of crime labs and camera phones. This detail plays into the plot more than once, which makes for some anxious moments.

Another positive aspect of the book is that the author uses many nice touches regarding small-town Southern life. I’m unsure if the town of Harper was named for Harper Lee, but I took it as a homage and smiled every time I read the name. The author describes it as a normal small town that has a church on every corner and a lack of downtown businesses because of a new Walmart. He also includes details that make the characters seem more realistic. For example, Thorne describes how one character gets a lot of return address labels because he once gave to a charity and got added to everyone else’s contact list. (Does that sound familiar to anyone?)

Unfortunately, I don’t think this is a 4-star book, so I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was clever, but it wasn’t as polished as a 4-star book should be. It wasn’t a page-turner, and I found myself having to make myself pick it up about half-way through. Additionally, the characters weren’t as rounded and unique as they could have been. I found myself having to look back to see which name went with which character because they were described so similarly. It is considerably better than a 2-star book, though, because I would recommend it to people looking for a good murder mystery. If you are looking for a touch of romance or an action-packed book, this one isn’t for you. Prospective readers should also be aware that this book contains frequent depictions of sex, sexual language, and sexual violence.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Your review was concise and yet gave a clear picture of the story and what to expect from it. I would like to read and review this novel if given the opportunity. Nice!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Ahh yes, solving crimes before DNA labs and cell phones was definitely a completely different animal than it is now. This is not my usual genre of book, so I don't think I'll pick it up.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”