Review by briellejee -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you think a superhuman and time travel are impossible, well, they aren't in Mark Kingston Levin's 30th Century: Escape. An exciting and fascinating adventure that begins in the future and ends in the past.

The Syndos, a group of genetically enhanced humans with no moral compass, is threatening to exterminate the Naturals. In order to survive, Captain Jennifer Hero and her team plan their escape by using a time machine. One by one, the sub-caps carrying the divided teams leave the 30th century to travel back to the 27th century. However, Jennifer programs her sub-cap to go back to the year 2015. She makes her team believe that she dies in the attack. She finally arrives at the 21st century on a deserted island in Hawaii. Will she be able to hide her identity? Will she be able to live a life in the past? Will she be able to conceal her advanced knowledge?

Professor Marty Zitonick and his team of researchers are about to conduct their study in the island of Moruroa when they spot a person on the deserted island. Thinking she is a victim of a shipwreck, they decide to help her. Who is this mysterious girl? How did she end up on the island that has been contaminated with nuclear radiation?

The book starts in the 30th century where the characters are on the move to escape. This chapter was written brilliantly. You can feel the urgency of their life and death situation; I felt immensely immersed in it. I didn't know I was holding my breath until the chapter ended. I also liked how the author explained the advanced technology. The descriptions were easy to follow and vivid. Furthermore, the types of machinery and their concepts suited the futuristic timeline. They didn't sound ridiculous or impossible— they were realistic enough and logical. Also, the sketches of some locations made it easier to visualize the setting.

Unfortunately, the succeeding chapters weren't good enough for me. I had high expectations after the first one as it seemed to be a promising plot. However, as I flipped through the pages, I realized there was nothing more to the story other than Jennifer wanting to fit in in the year 2015. I was honestly hoping to find some sense somewhere, a connection to the 30th century where all the science and technology seemed remarkably interesting. I was disappointed at how everything turned out. I felt like there were a lot of unnecessary events inserted. I found them senseless and tedious since they didn't bring any real depth.

Moreover, there was no rich character development. The characters were not appealing enough, and there were a lot of them that became a part of Jennifer's life just for the explicit scenes. The rest of the book was monotonous. The conversations were too formal and sounded forced.

Additionally, the explicit scenes were excessive and pointless. I was about to commend the author for having characters representing different sexual orientations, but it seemed to me he only used them to have a reason in writing the erotic scenes. The gender identity didn't contribute much to the character as a person, which was a disappointment too.

The errors were little to none. One example was the use of a semicolon instead of a colon. I think it is safe to say that this book is well-edited.

If it wasn't hyped as a science-fiction from the start, then 30th Century: Escape would have been a charming romance novel. It would greatly disappoint readers who are looking forward to the scientific and futuristic element. With all the points made above, I give this 2 out of 4 stars rating. The two points are mainly from the creative futuristic theme and the decent editing. I wouldn't recommend this to teens as there are numerous detailed erotic scenes, and also to adults who are uncomfortable in reading such. If you're into science-fiction with a touch of romantic and sensual elements, then this book is for you. Knowing that this is the first book of a series, I hold out any hope that the second book might not be as bad as this one.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This is a book that I am wishing to read. Seemingly it has disappointed you. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have recently completed reading this book. Glad to know you share my views. I was intrigued after the first few chapters and expected more out of this book. However, it thoroughly disappointed me with all those explicit scenes and Jennifer earning multiple PhDs. Thanks for the candid review!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:19 I have recently completed reading this book. Glad to know you share my views. I was intrigued after the first few chapters and expected more out of this book. However, it thoroughly disappointed me with all those explicit scenes and Jennifer earning multiple PhDs. Thanks for the candid review!
It really was disappointing. A little surprised that you share the same views with me because I see a lot of reviews that liked the book. I was actually doubting myself that maybe I'm being too hard on the book. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Sushan wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 22:04 This is a book that I am wishing to read. Seemingly it has disappointed you. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts 👍👍
Glad that it interests you! Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I absolutely agree with your review of this book. We had the same misgivings, but you said it much better than I could. LOL.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

I just finished my review of this book as well. I was left strongly disappointed! It was such a hyped up science fiction novel that I was very excited to read and was hoping for something along the same vein as Anne McCaffrey.

Jennifer felt far too "perfect" for me. At the beginning I could relate to her, but it seemed that the story and character interactions devolved the further you read until it was merely a romance novel.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

briellejee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:56
Shrabastee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:19 I have recently completed reading this book. Glad to know you share my views. I was intrigued after the first few chapters and expected more out of this book. However, it thoroughly disappointed me with all those explicit scenes and Jennifer earning multiple PhDs. Thanks for the candid review!
It really was disappointing. A little surprised that you share the same views with me because I see a lot of reviews that liked the book. I was actually doubting myself that maybe I'm being too hard on the book. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
That is what bothered me, too. I thought I was the only one to feel disappointed. Your views assured me that this is not the case. Guess Ravenclaws share the same opinion? :eusa-think:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Rangerkay wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 18:28 I just finished my review of this book as well. I was left strongly disappointed! It was such a hyped up science fiction novel that I was very excited to read and was hoping for something along the same vein as Anne McCaffrey.

Jennifer felt far too "perfect" for me. At the beginning I could relate to her, but it seemed that the story and character interactions devolved the further you read until it was merely a romance novel.
Yeah.. Too perfect! In fact so much that her flaws do not matter. Just imagine acing everything you attempt to do,and people waiting in queues to grant you PhDs.
As for the second point, yes, it turned out to be a romance novel. Not a good one at that! Was necessary to add some time-travel and make it under the sci-fi category?
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Rangerkay wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 18:28 I just finished my review of this book as well. I was left strongly disappointed! It was such a hyped up science fiction novel that I was very excited to read and was hoping for something along the same vein as Anne McCaffrey.

Yeah, too perfect! In fact, so perfect that her flaws do not matter at all. She aces everything she does, and people are waiting in queues to grant her PhDs.
Even as a romance novel, it was not that good. Was it really necessary to include some time-travel and make it under the sci-fi category?
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 22:23
briellejee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:56
That is what bothered me, too. I thought I was the only one to feel disappointed. Your views assured me that this is not the case. Guess Ravenclaws share the same opinion? :eusa-think:
Can't tell you how relieved I am that someone actually knows and shares what I feel about the book. Ha! Ravenclaws! There's no surprise in that! We bunch are weird in our own way ;)
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

KDJ wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 17:29 I absolutely agree with your review of this book. We had the same misgivings, but you said it much better than I could. LOL.
Aw, thanks! Glad to see someone who agrees with me on that matter despite the fact that a lot of people are giving this a thumbs up. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Same! I was really rooting for it when Jennifer decides to go back in the year 2015. I was really hoping for more plot twists like that. But then, I hoped in vain.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 04:06
Even as a romance novel, it was not that good. Was it really necessary to include some time-travel and make it under the sci-fi category?
I so agree with this! The sci-fi category influence did little after their escape. And for a romance novel, there is barely any romantic story; just people hooking up with each other - which I still don't get why would that be any relevant to the plot. Also, it pulled too much when Jenny the twin showed up. I almost gave up reading. LOL
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Fantastic review! Thank you for being so thorough. I had read a sample of the book, and I thought I might read it because I like time travel plots. After seeing that the plot drops off, I don't think I will be reading it. Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”