Review by Al Chakauya -- Effective Leaders and Leadership

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Al Chakauya -- Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Al Chakauya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Effective Leaders and Leadership" by Mildred Stallworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being in a position of leadership has its demands and responsibilities. But, how does one become an effective leader? What are the leadership qualities one has to acquire? Mildred Stallworth in her book, Effective Leaders and Leadership, answers these and other questions in an effective way.

Effective Leaders and Leadership is a non-fiction book which attempts to explain leadership from different perspectives. Mildred addresses basic leadership skills in a simplified manner. The book tackles leadership at home, in the workplace, in politics as well spiritual leadership to name but a few. All this is done in twelve short chapters. The chapters are further subdivided into ‘chew-sized’ subtopics. This made reading this book a great pleasure.

I enjoyed the simple language used by Mildred –it made reading the book worthwhile. I also enjoyed the positivity which was reflected in almost every page of the book. The optimistic view made me stay glued to the book. The author’s writing style is interactive and practical –making me easily relate what I was reading to my work as a school teacher and entrepreneur. I still feel that there must be more ‘flesh’ in the book as I noticed that there are some areas which were not fully addressed in the book. One of the areas that I feel was not fully tackled was that on leadership in the home or family setup. I am of the opinion that the author should have included tips on how to handle rowdy children and how to handle your spouse in regard to various problems encountered in a marriage.

I recommend Effective Leaders and Leadership to corporate leaders –their roles are clearly outlined in this book. The book also appeals to the religious. They will learn of Biblical leadership concepts which are well explained in this book. Parents will also pick some morsels on handling their children in a family setup. Politicians can also find some useful leadership hints in this book. They will learn of ways of capturing the attention of the masses and how to manage and hold public office in a unique but yet simple perspective. In fact, I don’t see anyone who is in a leadership position that this book does not relate to.

The book is well written in simple language. Technical jargon is explained in layman’s terms. The entire work appear to be professionally edited, save for a couple of grammatical and spelling mistakes that I came across in the kindle version that I read. One example of such an error is on page 29 which must read ‘rules’ instead of ‘rule’ as written in the book. The good thing is the typos are not distracting at all to hinder reading pleasure. Due to the aforementioned reasons I could award the book 3.5 stars if I could. I therefore award Effective Leaders and Leadership by Mildred Stallworth a score of 3 out of 4 stars for the amazing read that it is.

Effective Leaders and Leadership
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Al Chakauya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not a big fan of self-help books. But I enjoyed your review. Nice work. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Sushan wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 22:46 I am not a big fan of self-help books. But I enjoyed your review. Nice work. Thank you 👍👍
Thanks for stopping by and taking time to go through my review Sushan.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

One thing that struck me is the idea of "leadership in the home." What a way to re-frame the construct of effective parenting (e.g., as you said, "handling rowdy children"). Thanks for this review!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

inaramid wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 20:37 One thing that struck me is the idea of "leadership in the home." What a way to re-frame the construct of effective parenting (e.g., as you said, "handling rowdy children"). Thanks for this review!
I concur, it's leadership in a "brand-new" way that is reflected by the author. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”