Review by Darlynn_Tebogo -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Darlynn_Tebogo -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice is a fitness, well-being and dieting book written by Morton E. Tavel. In this book, Dr. Tavel offers an insightful look into differentiating between what is fake and real in the health industry. In addition, the author suggests many substitutes to our bad eating habits and provides health advice. The advice and recommendations are based on either the author’s opinion or the results of numerous research studies.

When I started reading this book, I was afraid that it was going to be more of a research paper that is data heavy. However, I was thrilled to find that the writing style of the book flowed well and that Dr. Tavel was able to include a bit of humor in it.

What I liked most about the book was how the chapters were divided into sections. There are 3 sections in the book. Where section 1 is dedicated to tips about health and wellness, section 2 is dedicated to myths, common misconception and our physical makeup and the last section focuses on the tricks that are played on unsuspecting patients. Each section of the book then contains Chapters with different subtopics. For example, chapter 7 tells you some foods that you should avoid. So, this chapter was dedicated to giving a health tip. This makes it easier for a person who doesn't want to read the whole book but just wants to debunk certain myths or learn a new trick to better their health.

This is not the kind of book I would normally read, however, I just felt like reading something totally out of my normal routine. So, when this book popped up in my suggestions I read the description and decided to give it a go. However, in order to make sure that the author isn't also spewing false information, I decided to find out who the author is and was glad to find out that he is, in fact, a medical doctor.

This is highlighted in his writing where he mentions that he draws his data from a collection of material that includes his very own personal biomedical background, scientific publications, media reports that were proven to be accurate, and many other trustworthy sources. For me personally, the best part of this book is the amount of research that went into it. The author provides detailed information for every aspect concerning health that you can think of. The information that Dr. Tavel teaches us is amazing, interesting, and even a little scary.

I will rate Health tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice by Morton E. Tavel 3 out of 4 stars because I really enjoyed how the author simplified many things and didn't use terms that the average person would not understand. I state this because I dislike reading materials that use medical terms that the average person cannot understand. The only drawback about the book is that there is a lot of crossover between the myth and trick sections and a lot of repetition. I also found some errors.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what they can do to better their lives and their bodies. I would also recommend it to people who are hunting for ways to lose weight, look younger, eat better, and cut back on overused medications. Ultimately, this is a practical guide that people can use to separate facts from myths. It is a self-help book whose goal is to help us all become well informed.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Darlynn_Tebogo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Olayinka_Koli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Olayinka_Koli »

Sounds like an interesting read. I am not a huge fan of self help books because they tend to be a scam but I'll definitely check this one out.Great review!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I've read this book as well and found sections 1 and 2 to be the most informative.

Loved reading your review. Great work, as always!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Health tips, Myths, and Tricks is very informative and researched based. I love how you summarized the review.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

Your summary is apt. I'm looking forward to reading this informative book. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”