Review by Helen_Combe -- First Family by Alice Langholt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Review by Helen_Combe -- First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Family" by Alice Langholt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First Family by Alice Langholt is a retelling of Genesis from the Bible. I have to admit to having reservations when I first saw this book. Initially, I thought it was a biography of the Trumps (the horror!), and then I realised it was the story of the actual first family, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel; one of my least favourite stories in the Bible. I feel I need to warn potential readers of this review, that I am a nonbeliever and some of my opinions may give offence. It’s also extremely difficult to review such a well-known story without giving away spoilers since they are the only bits that people don’t know already, so consider yourself warned.

The reason that I have never liked Genesis is because I felt that it could be summarised into ‘God created the earth and women are the root of all evil and must be subjugated and punished for all time’. My opinion on that front has always been, ‘well that didn’t take long, did it?’

Despite all these caveats, I will say that I loved this book. It is told from everybody’s point of view, including that of God and the snake. Some of the opinions of the protagonists are critical of God, some praise, some blame and some accept. Everybody gets to have a say, and the arguments are very even-handed and believable. There are even some unexpected and amusing phrases like ’there goes the neighbourhood’. I related most strongly to Cain and Eve and I felt her resentment that God never spoke to her, and her feeling that ’God has no use for me’. Adam, on the other hand, received attention from God and remained devout throughout. He mourned the loss of his life of indolence in the garden, while Eve powered ahead, making tools and shearing sheep. Again, it resonates with my own opinion on the question of Eve’s actions, which is, ’did you really want to spend eternity naming sheep? Wouldn’t you rather walk on the moon?’

The book also covers the difficult question of why did God reject Cain’s offering? I’ve always felt that many of the difficulties created in Genesis were caused by favouritism on God’s side. In this retelling, God doesn’t demand a sacrifice, but he does desire credit while giving none to his creations. As Cain says, ’there’s no need to give anyone else the credit. If we didn’t do the work we did, there would be no fruit, no flocks, no wool and no milk’. In this story, God gives his reason to the reader for rejecting Cain’s offering, but his explanation to Cain is as nebulous as in the original. On the other hand, Adam remains adamant that everything that he creates is as a result of God providing the raw materials, so he always thanks God for everything.

The story then focuses on the grief that Adam and Eve feel as they lose both their sons at the same time. They have never encountered death, so Abel’s demise is incomprehensible to them. I felt this part was dealt with beautifully and really brought home the immensity of their loss. The death of Abel in this story allows for more sympathy for Cain than in the way it is told traditionally and makes his punishment all the more cruel.

I felt this book was beautifully written, I only spotted one grammatical mistake where Cain was waiving his arms rather than waving them, so the book must have been professionally edited. The emotions and motivations of everyone concerned were engaging and felt real. Even though I knew the story, I nevertheless found it to be a page-turner because the emotional side of the story was still unchartered waters. I feel that this book could be enjoyed by anybody regardless of their religion because it is a story about people and an exciting one at that. People who enjoy character-driven stories should enjoy this book immensely.

Other than the single error, I have no criticisms of this book and am delighted to award it 4 out of 4 stars.

First Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Having read and reviewed this book earlier, I share your opinion that this retelling of the Biblical story is mesmerizing. I genuinely loved reading about the different perspectives. I agree that both religious and non-religious readers will find this to their liking. Thanks for the great review, Helen!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:29 Having read and reviewed this book earlier, I share your opinion that this retelling of the Biblical story is mesmerizing. I genuinely loved reading about the different perspectives. I agree that both religious and non-religious readers will find this to their liking. Thanks for the great review, Helen!
Thank you :tiphat:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I am so glad you read, reviewed, and enjoyed this book! Eve and Cain are normally portrayed as those at fault without any consideration to their motives or circumstances, but Langholt didn't do that. I think it helps that she has a Jewish background rather than Christian. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Vscholz wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 22:38 I am so glad you read, reviewed, and enjoyed this book! Eve and Cain are normally portrayed as those at fault without any consideration to their motives or circumstances, but Langholt didn't do that. I think it helps that she has a Jewish background rather than Christian. Thanks for the review!
Thank you. I believe that the original mythology was that Adam's partner was Lyta who was his equal and who got edited out and replaced by Eve.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar

Post by Vscholz »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 09:23
Vscholz wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 22:38 I am so glad you read, reviewed, and enjoyed this book! Eve and Cain are normally portrayed as those at fault without any consideration to their motives or circumstances, but Langholt didn't do that. I think it helps that she has a Jewish background rather than Christian. Thanks for the review!
Thank you. I believe that the original mythology was that Adam's partner was Lyta who was his equal and who got edited out and replaced by Eve.
I have seen her name as Lilith and she was not human, I think. I may be wrong. I remember seeing a painting of her where her lower half is a snake. Women are frequently villainized, even before Eve, and that is tragic. Luckily we live in a time where we are taking a stance to move towards equality. (Remember, feminism is about raising women up, not lowering or demeaning men, to reach equality.)
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Vscholz wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 19:05
Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 09:23
I have seen her name as Lilith and she was not human, I think. I may be wrong. I remember seeing a painting of her where her lower half is a snake. Women are frequently villainized, even before Eve, and that is tragic. Luckily we live in a time where we are taking a stance to move towards equality. (Remember, feminism is about raising women up, not lowering or demeaning men, to reach equality.)
You’re right, I’m currently at a sci fi convention dressed as Lyta Alexander from Babylon 5. Obviously a Freudian slip 🤪
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

Those are some strong opinions you hold about the creation story. I hadn't thought of it from your point of view until now. I'd really love to read the author's opinion on why Cain's sacrifice was rejected.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Meaow love wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 12:45 Those are some strong opinions you hold about the creation story. I hadn't thought of it from your point of view until now. I'd really love to read the author's opinion on why Cain's sacrifice was rejected.
I was a bit concerned that I might offend people with my opinion, but having said I didn’t like Genesis, I felt that I would then be asked why.
Thanks for commenting.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Your warning is so spot on! You've successfully wiped any need for debate with such already in mind. Each one of us is entitled to our viewpoint, indeed, unless we're forcing it down into someone else's psyche or something of course. I respect yours, too. Thank you for your candid and witty review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The reason that I have never liked Genesis is because I felt that it could be summarised into ‘God created the earth and women are the root of all evil and must be subjugated and punished for all time’. My opinion on that front has always been, ‘well that didn’t take long, did it?’

I totally agree. However, I applaud your decision to read this book with an open mind, even as a nonbeliever. I think reading the story from different perspectives must enrich a lot the perspective we get and make it much more complete.
I commend the honesty of your review, thank you!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This is a compelling recommendation of this book ! I love the take on Eve you describe. Thanks also for being so open and honest in your review also; that’s not always comfortable on a website with many different backgrounds and perspectives, but it’s relevant for how this story worked for you. Great review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

This is a great review and makes me want to read the book. I always love Bible retellings, and this one sounds like it does a good job of it altering the events as told in the Bible while presenting a different point of view.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Espie wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 17:47 Your warning is so spot on! You've successfully wiped any need for debate with such already in mind. Each one of us is entitled to our viewpoint, indeed, unless we're forcing it down into someone else's psyche or something of course. I respect yours, too. Thank you for your candid and witty review.
Thank you very much :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Lunastella wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 17:58

I totally agree. However, I applaud your decision to read this book with an open mind, even as a nonbeliever. I think reading the story from different perspectives must enrich a lot the perspective we get and make it much more complete.
I commend the honesty of your review, thank you!
Thank you very much :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”