Review by skindrukas -- There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Review by skindrukas -- There and Back There Again

Post by skindrukas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There and Back There Again
By Andrew Alsup

I shall start my review with the statement that it is the most bizarre book I have ever read! I will try to do my best my overall reading experience putting into thoughts and arranging them in some order. I must admit though, that this review is based only on my personal reflections, not on my experience as a reader or reviewer. I simply cannot apply it for reviewing this book. My opinion shouldn’t, by no means, discourage anyone to read it. That is not my aim. I just want to express my personal impression of the book and how it has changed when I have finished reading it.

I will start with a comment on the title – There And Back There Again – and the cover of the book. The appearance of it is an allusion to the fictional world that we all know or at least have heard of – the world created by J.R.R. Tolkien. The leather-like book cover, the Elvish-style letters, and words of the book title give a puzzling first impression with a clear hint to The Hobbit. But even after reading the whole book I cannot say, how exactly it relates to The Hobbit, except the fact that the protagonist lives in his inner world of its own laws and principals, which is completely different from our reality and not quite clear to the reader.

The book consists of two parts that are hardly related to each other. The first part of the book is more like an open diary about violation of Andy’s privacy. It’s like a twisted mirror of the reality. The second part is a bonus, as it is called suggesting that it might have little to do with the first part. It is a set of very short articles (some of them written by others) on different topics, like the analysis of E. A. Poe’s poem or essays on Andy’s pets. The order of chapters, even of the two parts of the book, does not seem important at all.

It is not clear throughout the whole book, who is speaking on behalf of the protagonist Andy. It is difficult to discern when he refers to real people and when his imaginary voices take over. Whoever is speaking, though, he does not seek identification with the reader, either any approval or recognition nor integration in general. There is no sequence in Andy’s schizophrenic thoughts, they are incoherent, scattered, disconnected. They rush through Andrew Alsup’s fingers onto the pages of the book as fast as they can, and then - into the reality, where they simply materialize themselves as words and sentences. In this multidimensional maze of thoughts, Andy talks about his privacy constantly being illegally violated and harassed by the uninterrupted stream of imaginary voices that he calls many names, but mostly – chipmunk (because that’s how they sound like, he says). It’s never clear enough to whom the voices really belong, where is the boundary between what is real and what is unreal. It doesn’t even seem important sometimes. It’s more important who is involved in all that, and how.

I started reading this book, and I couldn't stop until I finished it the next morning. It puzzled me and made me change my opinion of it with every page. This book raises more questions than it gives answers. The most agonizing of them: who exactly Andy is; is he mad or genius; why the book is the way it is? I cannot say that I like or dislike the book. It kept me tuned in I can’t say where to, so I won’t rate it low. On the other hand, I can’t rate it high because the lack of understandable sequence and the necessity for explanations affect the overall reading experience. So I rate this book 3 out of 4. This book is definitely not easy to understand, and not meant for those who expect a relaxing weekend reading. On the other hand, those who like brain-twisters or puzzle games might really enjoy it. So, if you happen to be one of the latter, be ready to dive into a different world for as long as it takes reading the book from cover to cover and read it again from the end to the beginning.

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like skindrukas's review? Post a comment saying so!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

My first thought was that reading this might be like reading Kafka. A book that is like a puzzle game sounds ... different ... and not necessarily what I prefer, much as I love Kafka. Thanks for your thorough review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 15:10 My first thought was that reading this might be like reading Kafka. A book that is like a puzzle game sounds ... different ... and not necessarily what I prefer, much as I love Kafka. Thanks for your thorough review!
That is an accurate remark! If my country wouldn't have another author, that is "worse" than Kafka, I would have thought about Kafka =) It's funny though, the lithuanian author I thought about was the only author I didn't like reading at school. And I was (still am) addicted reader, I like almost everything I read. What's more strange is that the whole class liked him, I felt totally misunderstood! Even the worst students read that author, they never read anything else...
Andrew Alsup's book surely is a maze and I believe everyone gets their own questions after reading it. No answers though...
Thanks for reading my review!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

skindrukas wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 16:30
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 15:10 My first thought was that reading this might be like reading Kafka. A book that is like a puzzle game sounds ... different ... and not necessarily what I prefer, much as I love Kafka. Thanks for your thorough review!
That is an accurate remark! If my country wouldn't have another author, that is "worse" than Kafka, I would have thought about Kafka =) It's funny though, the lithuanian author I thought about was the only author I didn't like reading at school. And I was (still am) addicted reader, I like almost everything I read. What's more strange is that the whole class liked him, I felt totally misunderstood! Even the worst students read that author, they never read anything else...
Andrew Alsup's book surely is a maze and I believe everyone gets their own questions after reading it. No answers though...
Thanks for reading my review!
I'm curious - which author is that?
I also like almost everything I read - something has to be pretty bad for me not to want to finish it.
Mod
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 15:10 I'm curious - which author is that?
I also like almost everything I read - something has to be pretty bad for me not to want to finish it.
I was talking about Antanas Skema. Here's some info aboit him: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antanas_Škėma
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks! Learn something new ...
Sounds very interesting; unfortunately, I won't be able to read it in Lithuanian.
Mod
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 17:02 Thanks! Learn something new ...
Sounds very interesting; unfortunately, I won't be able to read it in Lithuanian.
Even if you could, I'd recommend something different than Skema =)
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

skindrukas wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 17:07
What would you recommend, out of interest? I probably won't learn Lithuanian any time soon, but it's always interesting to know!
Mod
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 17:13
skindrukas wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 17:07
What would you recommend, out of interest? I probably won't learn Lithuanian any time soon, but it's always interesting to know!
Edmundas Malukas is one of my favourites: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmundas_Mal%C5%ABkas
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Interesting! I will check him out when I can, thank you!
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”