Review by Choine -- Winning the War on Cancer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Review by Choine -- Winning the War on Cancer

Post by Choine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sylvie Beljanski’s father, Mirko Beljanski, has devoted his scientific career to developing natural cures for cancer. However, due to the battle between natural and pharmaceutical drugs he has found that administering these natural cures can be difficult. After he was arrested for providing unapproved medicine to cancer patients, Sylvie Beljanski sought to continue his legacy and produce natural medicines that cured cancer without the ugly side effects caused by man-made medicines. Sylvie Beljanski wrote Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure to document her journey through this battle and share her and her father’s discoveries with the world.

During the foreword, Gretchen DuBeau explains how she heard of Sylvie Beljanski’s research. DuBeau begins by explaining the background of cancer research. The foreword is laid out to display DuBeau’s passion on the subject without appearing to be a pointless rant. The amount of research and passion put into this subject is clearly represented before we hear from the author, fueling our curiosity for her findings.

The introduction to the book is also written to help the readers understand the contents of the book without ranting. It is constructed in a way that explains the components used in cancer research without assuming the reader possesses any prior knowledge of the subject. For those who do not have an extensive scientific background, this is extremely helpful as it lays out the entire foundation for this book. The introduction also provides a helpful overview of the entire book which shows the reader the layout of the book without revealing any spoilers.

As the book begins, readers are provided with Mirko Beljanski’s background in science and his research regarding natural cures for cancer. This is coupled with an explanation of the laws in France at the time which will later cause problems in the Beljanski’s research. The punishments for these crimes are also stated to give the reader an understanding of the severity of the situation at the time.

One thing I liked was the inclusion of inspirational quotes at the beginning of each chapter that related to the contents of that chapter. Each quote seemed to act as an introduction to the chapter and fuel the energy needed for the subject.

As the author goes on to explain different scientific concepts, the level of difficulty in understanding each concept is decreased due to the author’s detailed explanation of each process. For example, the author explains in one of the early chapters how DNA works and is constructed as well as how it can mutate. As an individual who knows little about the subject, I found the break down of the process helpful. Beljanski succeeded in explaining this detailed process in a way that any reader could understand it, regardless of prior scientific knowledge. The same can be said for later explanations in the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The entire book is well written and flows smoothly from one chapter to the next. I did not find it difficult to relate stories told by the author to scientific facts and research discussed in the same chapter. She did well to explain all concepts in a way that anyone who has minimal scientific knowledge can understand. Throughout the book, I only noticed a few errors which led me to believe that this book has been edited by a professional. The author is clearly well-educated and knows exactly what she is talking about. I believe this is a wonderful book for any reader as it contributes to knowledge of cancer and the race to find a cure in addition to the battle between natural medicine and pharmaceutical drugs.

Winning the War on Cancer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Choine's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”