Review by holsam_87 -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by holsam_87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Concealment" by Rose Edmunds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Concealment by Rose Edmunds is the first book in the Crazy Amy series. It follows Amy, who seems to have it all with her successful career, a great wardrobe, and her beautiful home. However, this is just a cover to keep her jerk of a boss, Ed, from finding out that she isn’t perfect and then exploiting her. Unfortunately, when an assistant colleague is murdered, Amy’s life is thrown off kilter.

She suspects that fraud links Ed to the killing, but most people just think that she’s being overly paranoid. Will she take this lying down? Or will she be a survivor and fight back? Either way, you will be rooting for Amy, as she is a likable character with a strong sense of self-preservation.

This was definitely a great read for me, as it doesn’t make Amy out to be a victim, despite everything she has been through. When she has her internal conversations with the little voice in her head, it made her seem more human and less like a damsel in distress. She actually gets herself into things, despite being the posh lady that she makes herself out to be. It is also easy to believe that she is quite intellectual and analytical from how she goes about getting her information and research.

There are some things to make note of in regard to the writing style and spelling. Since the author is British and the setting is in England, the word spelling and diction of the characters follow the British English spellings and not the American English spellings. The phrasing might sound different too. Keeping this in mind, I will not be taking any stars away for this as it adds authenticity to the book.

The editing and structure of this book are expertly well done. I did not detect any issues with punctuation or grammar. In fact, the way that the author describes and uses her vocabulary assisted in making this piece exceptional. I like how the point of views change periodically, and that when this happens, the font changes as well. Again, the use of local phrasing and patois really helped with the character development and settings.

If you are a fan of the thriller and suspense genres, then this book is for you. It constantly keeps you guessing and on your toes. Plus I didn’t expect the twists and turns, that were added. It is definitely a good start to a series, as Amy doesn’t immediately turn into a super-sleuth like how a lot of other protagonists do.

Readers under 18 years old should not read this, as it holds a lot of strong language and content. There are also mentions of mental instability, past child abuse, issues with hoarding, bullying, alcohol abuse, sex, murder, suicide, and intense moments of fear and violence. If you are someone that has strong, visceral reactions to what you read or if you are easily triggered by any of these issues, then it would be best to not read this. But if these situations don’t bother you, then I think you’ll enjoy this book. Concealment receives 4 out of 4 stars from me, as it is a wonderfully written book.

I’m curious to see what else happens to Amy next. As of right now, there are two more books that come after this book. They are called Exposure and Restitution, with the former coming before the latter. From reading some information on Rose Edmunds located on her Goodreads page, it details that she has over 20 years of working undercover in financial firms, and she has clearly implemented her abilities to get to the nitty-gritty details in her novels. Check out her books if you’d like more insight into the business world.

Concealment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Awesome review, Samantha! I have also read and reviewed this book and agree with you that Amy is a truly likable character. The way she stands up to her beliefs when everyone starts doubting her credibility is something we should all learn from. I have already obtained a copy of the next book, can not wait to find out what happens next.
P. S. Interesting point about British English vs American English. I did not even notice that myself!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We've all got good and bad sides. It's always better if what we do could lead to bringing what's best in each one of us, instead of the other way around. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I reviewed this book too and I totally agree with you. Even though Amy is hardly perfect and she's had her fair share of hardships, the author manages to make her character relatable and you find yourself rooting for her. I didn't know that the author had worked undercover but she definitely shows the dark side of the corporate world and I'm hooked with her books.
It was very interesting to read your perspective. Great review, thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”