Review by NuelUkah -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Review by NuelUkah -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by NuelUkah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something stinks about this book...
...do you have any idea what it is?
Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a 26 paged, easy-to-read children's book written and illustrated by Len Foley. Inspired by Becky and Sofia, two kids with never-ending pile of socks, Foley has been able to create life important lessons for children in an entertaining way. Adults could learn some things here too.

The book begins with Sigfried perceiving a very gross stench. He thinks of several possible causes of this offensive smell. Little did he realize it was from the pile of dirty socks beneath his bed.

This concise, comic book is targeted at children within the age range of 3 - 7 years old. It may not sound funny to adults unless it is read with the understanding of a child and from the perspective of the author. Regional and cultural differences could also be a barrier to the humor and message contained therein.

To better understand the author's point of view, I had to read this to some set of kids within the age range with humorous charisma. The expressions on the kids' faces and the way they laughed out loud really got me laughing out loud too.

I must commend Foley's creativity in putting this write-up together. It's not easy for an adult to write a book with the eyes of a child. The story is very educative and relatable to any adult because as a child, I remember my experiences with smelly socks. I am intrigued by Foley's concept of using rhyming words.

I couldn't find errors except in page 13 where 'blue socks' was written with purple color instead of blue color. That doesn't diminish the fun of the story at all. Does Sigfried wash his pile of socks in the end or does he just mess around in the soapy water?

Obviously, this book is engaging. It was properly proofread. The pace was a fast one. The author's writing style was accurately descriptive. Considering the moral lesson of training children to keep their wears and environment clean, and the fun I had while reading this story to the kids, I give a 4 out of 4 stars. This book would appeal to children, parents, and children teachers.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NuelUkah's review? Post a comment saying so!
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

The title of the book is very unique that made me read the book. The review is comcise and neat . All the important points are clearly explained . Thanks for the review.
---
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Bavithra M wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 22:59 The title of the book is very unique that made me read the book. The review is comcise and neat . All the important points are clearly explained . Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good to go beyond what's merely obvious to look for what's positive. This piece is one such example. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

To better understand the author's point of view, I had to read this to some set of kids within the age range with humorous charisma. The expressions on the kids' faces and the way they laughed out loud really got me laughing out loud too.
I think it's amazing you took the time and effort to do this because we, as adults, definitely have a different worldview and sense of humor than kids.
Seems like a fun book for young readers.
Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have read this read and couldn't agree more, and yes, this read does stink: I don't know how on earth are you holding it? Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”