Review by Jessacardinal -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Jessacardinal -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jessacardinal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of McDowell, Hiram McDowell is a world-renowned surgeon, President of the Board of Surgeons, head of the Department of Surgery in Denver, and founder of a hospital serving the people of Nepal. Extraordinarily, he also finds time to climb the mountains of Nepal, run marathons, and dabble in his beloved hobbies of music and women. At first glance, William H. Coles has created a character who has it all.

A series of self-inflicted events expose Hiram McDowell’s broken moral compass for what it is. He fulfills his agenda without considering the impact it will have on others. He never takes responsibility for his actions, and places blame elsewhere when necessary. Hiram’s corrupt actions leave colleagues with no choice but to investigate their topmost doctor. Professional disaster and legal turmoil have Hiram suddenly fleeing from his upper-class lifestyle for the innocuous refuge between U.S. coasts. Will Hiram find the solitude and redemption he so desperately seeks, or will his past, and the law, catch up with him before has time to clear his name?

I have a difficult time pinpointing what I like most in this two-part novel. Many likable moments peak throughout the text, much like the sun briefly shining on an overcast day. Hiram’s daughter, Sophie, is arguably the most likable character in this book. She is regularly present and frequently fights for the leading role of McDowell. Sophie’s interesting life fills many pages of this novel. However, the overabundant coverage often seems irrelevant to a story spanning many years.

I dislike several things about this book. Part one merely scratches the surface of daily life and thus is slow to interest the reader. The story often jumps around and lacks necessary depth and detail. The endless introduction of new characters sometimes leaves the reader feeling overwhelmed. Other areas of the book contain predictable plots and leave little to the imagination. Hiram’s third wife, Carole, describes her husband as a man who can play the harmonica with a soul he otherwise lacks. The same soulless description can be used to describe the first part of this book.

While I strongly dislike part one of McDowell, the content initially provided is necessary to understand the last half of the story. The second part of the book immediately captures my interest and successfully brings tears to my eyes. Although a few minor errors are present, a redemptive story entices me to budge on a prematurely low score and ultimately rate McDowell 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to patient readers who appreciate a lengthy novel that comes together at the end.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Jessacardinal's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I like Dr. Coles' books. This is no exception. I believe we have a Hiram in each of us, selfish and selfless at varying times. We must be careful to make the selfless moments outnumber the other.

I appreciate your thoughts about the book.
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:50 I like Dr. Coles' books. This is no exception. I believe we have a Hiram in each of us, selfish and selfless at varying times. We must be careful to make the selfless moments outnumber the other.

I appreciate your thoughts about the book.
I really like what you have to say. It gets me thinking about your point, and I absolutely agree with you. Thank you for the thought-provoking comment!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I'm reading a really brilliant book at the moment where all the main characters are introduced in the first few chapters and then continue to develop throughout. I find this very effective, and possibly it is more effective than continually introducing new characters. That factor may be a weakness of "McDowell" - well it's one you mention, anyway. Thanks for an interestingly-written review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This is the book regarding which, that I have read the most number of reviews. Nice work. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 15:15 I'm reading a really brilliant book at the moment where all the main characters are introduced in the first few chapters and then continue to develop throughout. I find this very effective, and possibly it is more effective than continually introducing new characters. That factor may be a weakness of "McDowell" - well it's one you mention, anyway. Thanks for an interestingly-written review!
The book you describe is my preferred cup of tea! Thanks for the comment. :)
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Sushan wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 22:53 This is the book regarding which, that I have read the most number of reviews. Nice work. Thank you 👍👍
Thank you for the comment and compliment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”