Review by nonamer_miss -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by nonamer_miss -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by nonamer_miss »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wanting to escape his father’s pressure of entering the university again, Randy Love applies in a Temporary Filling Agency where he is given various part-time jobs. Eventually, not having a fixed schedule and wanting to have a better credential written in his CV, Randy asks for a full-time job. He is hired as staff in Stornford Building Society but being short in staff and in clients, he does not like the overall atmosphere of the office. Luckily, he answered the call of a hiring agent who offers him a full-time job in a bigger bank in London. Not wanting to be confined in their small town, Randy grabs the opportunity and embark on a train to London where he will meet new people and experience things outside the comfort of his father’s care.

Randy Love at your service by Shay Carter is a real manifestation of the lives of young adults.

The story starts with a preface introducing the Love family. John, a seasoned salesman who upholds a ruthless reputation of selling sands to the Arabs and ice to the Eskimos. Marjorie is the matriarch and the force that holds the family and their children, Heather, James and Randy. I think this part of the story signifies the role of Marjorie in their family. She helps establish his husband’s career and she sees to it that Heather and James are successful in their chosen fields - Heather as an architect and James, a solicitor. This also implies the effect of her loss in Randy’s life, who, unlike his siblings who grew up with their mother on their side, is driving a hazy direction.

While I said earlier that this book manifests the reality of young adults, Randy’s mishaps are unrealistic. I think the author tried too hard to portray Randy as someone who is charming, intelligent and good looking lad but lacks common sense. I think the intention is good but the delivery is off. Reading this book, I feel like I’m prying on someone, there’s just too much information given.

I will give this book 2 stars out of 4. It’s not entirely bad and I did not encounter any grammatical error. I also like the index at the end for reference of British terminology and slang used in the book but I don’t consider giving it another read.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nonamer_miss's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This is a book that I reviewed a long time ago, and I loved this book. Seemingly you have had a pretty bad experience of reading. It is always good to see different views. Thank you 👍👍

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70914
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

Sushan wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 09:51 This is a book that I reviewed a long time ago, and I loved this book. Seemingly you have had a pretty bad experience of reading. It is always good to see different views. Thank you 👍👍

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70914
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad you like the book... maybe Randy and I just doesn't match :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

From the various reviews I've read, I don't think this is for me. I think I would be annoyed by the main character.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Your take on this main character is interesting! I don’t think I could stand him based on other people’s reviews, but it seems like you found him more of a redeemable character if the delivery had been improved. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”