Review by Mr Benji -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Review by Mr Benji -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by Mr Benji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The pastoral ministry is a Christian calling that can be one of the most difficult to endure. As it involves the gathering of church members and building their faith in Christ. Besides, it is a ministry plagued with trials, heresies, scandals, and it requires great effort to prepare sermons before each service. Pastoring is Not What You Think is a book that describes the life of a pastor, Job. It is a work of fiction. The author, Elijah Oladimeji, is the pastor of an evangelical church, Mind of Christ, in the City of New York. He hopes this book –just like the story of Job in the Bible—strengthens and comforts fellow ministers and those who are at the point of giving up.

Job pastors Church of All Grace and is married to Lorraine, who assists him in the administration of the church. He struggles with issues of a typical pastor of this age—church management, family, and emotions. This point out that pastors are not exempted from the challenges of life.

Just like any other minister, Job answers questions, counsels people, prays for the sick, and he is even called at odd hours during the night. But, his faith remains firm amidst financial difficulties. Sadly, just like the wife of Job in the Bible, his wife, Lorraine only believes what she sees. There is no antagonist in the story, but the conflict of person-against-self since pastor Job talks aloud to himself. This depicts the fact that the battle of the Christian race is in the mind. This I find noteworthy. Although the inner thoughts of Job suggest a state of mental instability, they serve as a tool in discussing some related topics. Side characters include Sister Ann-Barry, whose son was revived, Mr. Reed, the relentless Landlord, and Rodriguez, the illegal immigrant from Mexico.

My understanding on some teachings were deepened, especially those on faith, prosperity, and salvation. For example, it was comforting to see the role faith plays in prayer, and the wholesome definition of prosperity and salvation. In addition, the author justifies why women are uncommon in this ministry. Faith, courage, endurance, and prayerfulness are the themes of the book. The writing style is simple without any theological terms. Most of the events occurred in places where a pastor can mostly be found: in the church, at home, or in the office. As expected, the tone is that of a caring pastor speaking to his congregation yet without sounding too didactic.

I find the story interesting because the plot is simple, and the scenes are engaging, with introductory third-person narration. Moreover, the characters are believable and for this I commend the author. However, there are a couple of grammatical and spelling errors that distracted me while reading. For instance, there are sentences with unduly italicized words on some pages, a misspelt name and some omitted commas on the acknowledgement page. Thus, it is in need of further editing.

Nevertheless, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it is expository and enriching. Because of the errors above, I couldn’t give it 4 stars. Rating it 2 stars would be unfair since I enjoyed reading the book, and if partial points were used for official rating, it would have deserved 3.5 stars. Therefore, I recommend it for pastors, church members, and any other Christian minister who is discouraged. On the other hand, the declaration of Jesus Christ as the Son of God might be offensive to Muslim readers due to differences in belief.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mr Benji's review? Post a comment saying so!
Books are lovely.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Sadly, just like the wife of Job in the Bible, his wife, Lorraine only believes what she sees. There is no antagonist in the story, but the conflict of person-against-self since pastor Job talks aloud to himself.
It is all a matter of perspective. It is not how a person had been good or bad to us, but it is often about what "hat" we have chosen to wear. We can always find something to appreciate if that's what we'd focus on; we'd find faults if that's our purpose. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I reviewed this book and found it tedious in the extreme, so well done on finishing it and being able to write such a thoughtful review.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Espie wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 22:41
Sadly, just like the wife of Job in the Bible, his wife, Lorraine only believes what she sees. There is no antagonist in the story, but the conflict of person-against-self since pastor Job talks aloud to himself.
It is all a matter of perspective. It is not how a person had been good or bad to us, but it is often about what "hat" we have chosen to wear. We can always find something to appreciate if that's what we'd focus on; we'd find faults if that's our purpose. Thank you for your honest review.
[/quote

I'm glad you are able to see the difference perspective can have on us.

Because we all see differently.

Thanks for your comments, Espie.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 23:12 I reviewed this book and found it tedious in the extreme, so well done on finishing it and being able to write such a thoughtful review.
Hi Caylie,

Writing a review is not as easy as reading the book.

I wish yours was not tedious as you say.

Atleast, I hope you got one or two lessons from it.

l appreciate your comments, thanks.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”