Review by Sweet Psamy -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by Sweet Psamy -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Sweet Psamy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The cleanliness of a person’s environment is a very important aspect of a person’s well-being. When I chose to read this book, I was not disappointed. Len Foley’s book, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a typical children’s book. The major character, Sigfried goes through the pages of the book trying to find out what stinks about this book. His search takes him from one page to the other. The story comes to a climax when he discovers a pile of unwashed socks, which he had kept beneath his bed. Though the socks are not the only things that stink about the book, Sigfried would have to find out what’s been smelling.

With no chronological chapter arrangement, the story is narrated in a monologue style that gives the reader a glimpse of Sigfried’s mind and what he thinks of the different smells. This made it a book children could easily identify with. A most interesting part of the book is the colorful pictures embedded in the story. This gave an attractive appeal to the book, especially as pertains to children. The author also painted an ideal children’s environment that was messy in all ramifications. This made the story more humorous and entertaining. The author’s language was also very simple.

I recommend this book for children under the age of 8 (toddlers, babies, etc.). It would also be very good for children's libraries. Children could learn some new words from it. On the other hand, anyone who doesn’t like a smelly and dirty environment may not want to read this book because it contains a lot of smells. Also, adults may not be interested in reading this book because it is ideal for children.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t take out any star because it had no editing issues. It looked like it was professionally edited and had an entertaining appeal worth commending.

I think the stink was a bit overdone. This was what I enjoyed the least in the story. My reason is that children might lose sight of the morality in the story after reading the story.

I particularly liked the simplicity of the story. This was the aspect I liked most about the story. This is because it made the narration easy to follow. It wasn’t complex.

The story was entertaining, hilarious and smelly. The author’s sense of humor was refreshing. The colorful pictures were invigorating. The cover page was alluring. Generally, Len Foley wrote an amazing story that can get any child’s complete attention. Children would enjoy reading and discussing this book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sweet Psamy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This reminds me of a book I read to my girls called There is a Monster at the End of this Book.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly you have really liked the book. I also reviewed this but my reaction was different. It is nice to see different views of fellow reviewers. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Sushan wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 22:06 Seemingly you have really liked the book. I also reviewed this but my reaction was different. It is nice to see different views of fellow reviewers. Thank you 👍👍
Sincerely I think the book provokes different reactions from different people depending on your perspective. Blessings!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I think the stink was a bit overdone. This was what I enjoyed the least in the story.
I completely agree with this statement :D. I did cringe a few times when I read the book, but at the same time, I admire the author's ability to evoke such disgusting smells just from words and illustrations. Thank you for this lovely review!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

I read the book too, It was my first time reading a kiddies book. Lots of colors will definitely attract kids and hopefully, the message of cleanliness will be successfully passed across. Good review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The story was entertaining, hilarious and smelly. The author’s sense of humor was refreshing. The colorful pictures were invigorating. The cover page was alluring. Generally, Len Foley wrote an amazing story that can get any child’s complete attention. Children would enjoy reading and discussing this book.
Your summary of the book has sold it to me! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I've read many reviews of this book, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”