Review by GCamer -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
GCamer
2018 Reading Goal: 8
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 479
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by GCamer -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by GCamer » 10 Jan 2019, 07:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Four Funny Potatoes is a children's book with words and pictures by Len Foley. The story is about four performers who put on a show at night. Everyone thinks the group is composed of four potatoes when in reality, the fourth potato is NOT a potato. Benny, a banana, has been trying to convince everyone that he is not a potato but to no avail.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to try to prove others your real self when they're insisting otherwise. I think this is a problem that everyone has faced in a certain phase of their life. From a girl dreaming of becoming a teacher when her parents insist that she become a doctor, to a man coming out of the closet about his sexuality to his family. Benny's struggle shows readers that it's all right to show your true colors and not just follow what others are pushing you to be.

One of my favorite part in the book is when the fruits, vegetables and other food sang together. I realized that the author was teaching readers about unity despite diversity. The simple song teaches readers to work harmoniously with other people while embracing their own uniqueness. I believe that these are actually deep issues that our society is facing. For me, this book is special because the author was able to address heavy problems through simple rhymes and delightful illustrations. Readers learn a lot while enjoying the simple story.

The only thing that I didn't like about the book was the ending. I guess I just got used to children's stories finishing with happily ever after that I didn't like how the story concluded. I think the author still tried to make a funny ending, though. I don't want to explain further cause it might spoil the conclusion of the book. I don't know. I mean we do have different perceptions. Others might disagree with me about this, but I just want to share my honest opinion.

Anyway despite the ending, I still think the book as a whole is a delightful one. Reading this book sparkled the inner child in me. Every line makes me want to sing. The combination of real pictures and illustrations give the fruits and vegetables the life that kids will surely enjoy. Plus, the colorful and big fonts make it easy for beginners to read. And so, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This is such a perfect story to teach kids, not only colors, shapes and numbers, but life lessons like having confidence in your uniqueness and accepting others. I highly recommend this to kids 2-5 and to readers young at heart who just wants to enjoy good rhymes and funny illustrations.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GCamer's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”