Review by Mr Justin -- Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mr Justin
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Mr Justin -- Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Mr Justin » 10 Jan 2019, 05:58

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bama Boy" by Bobby Morrison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone has a story to tell; but the secret is why and how one tells his or her story. Bobby Morrison, in his Bama Boy memoir, shares with us his fondest memories and experiences while growing up as a teenager in USA‘s North Carolina sharecropper ‘s farm.

As one of the twelve kids of the sharecropper, Bobby started picking cotton at the age of six, and went to school only on rainy days. As for why Bobby went to school only on rainy days, it’s your business to figure out when you read the story.

Bobby reveals that what is popularly known as hobbies are his passions. In presenting his case, he argued that passions are stronger than hobbies, and disclosed that his passions are cars, tennis, literature and writing. Bobby also played basket ball religiously every afternoon after school.

Bobby penned this story with great passion because of his unique writing flair. Although, Bobby does not possess a gift for words, he developed a strong character, painted vividly and graphically the story. While on-board Bobby’s ‘Bama Boy plane’ that straddled between North Carolina and Washington, and then back to North Carolina, he took me captive in his ‘plane’ of literature with suspense. However, what was so interesting about Bobby’s story is how he exposed his strong emotions.

However, what I like most about Bobby’s story is how he religiously enjoys and pursues his passion for cars, tennis, literature and writing. One of Bobby’s interesting pursuits was how he demonstrated that he cared for the safety of his passengers when he got the job as a School Bus driver. But I do not like his passion to run for a prize less marathon with his brother Tonny. Bobby, who chose to tell his story in a first person as the main character, lamentably failed to mention his name. I reserve my comments about how the book ends for me avoid robbing other reviewers’ space to break new grounds.

I did not find any grammatical mistakes in this book; but a pocket of typographical errors exist. However, the book is worth reading as it is not only informative, educative, entertaining, but an inspiring story that I gladly recommend to both young and adult readers. In view of the foregoing, I ‘m proud to rate this Book 3 out of 4 stars.

Bama Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mr Justin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”