Review by Darlynn_Tebogo -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Darlynn_Tebogo -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried has just discovered that his book smells awful! Won’t you join him on his disgusting journey to find the source of this disgusting smell? This is an illustration book for children that focuses on describing the smell of dirty socks at its fullest. Sigfried, the young protagonist, can best be described as a slob in everything he does. This rhyming book tells the story of the disgusting scents in his life.

Sigfried's Smelly Socks!
by Len Foley is geared towards young readers between the ages of 3-8 years, particularly those who enjoy gross humor. The author is able to captivate his readers with his vivid illustrations, and fast-paced rhythm. Even the youngest of readers will stay entertained from beginning to end. “Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!” will have you frequently laughing out loud. Len Foley uses adjectives that are silly, yet clever when describing the person responsible for the terrible smell.

Nothing seems impermissible for Sigfried and his family. Even the dog has contributed a yellow stain to this stinky book! His pile of dirty socks doesn’t seem so bad once he goes through the possible causes of his stinky book.

Okay, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have given this book a second glance but when I read the description and found that the book has illustrations, I decided to give it a go. What I loved most about the book is the colors and creativity that went into creating the illustrations. The bright, vibrant colors used, and the real images added throughout the pages created what I would like to call “The perfect formula” for illustrations in children’s books. The book was written and illustrated by the same person, Len Foley. This fact in its own makes me appreciate the work that went into making this book even more.

Even though the book was well edited, there is one thing that I did not like about the book. A rhyming book that doesn’t rhythm half of the time. When I read the book out loud twice I felt that some of the rhymes were choppy and did not flow well. Also, parents would find it a bit problematic if their kids are already a bit naughty. Why? Because the kids might want to try out some of these things in real life, so I highly recommend that the parents read it alone before reading it for their kids. Therefore, I am giving this book 3 out 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to teachers who are looking for a mini brain break activity, you could consider entertaining your students with it. Try using a projector for a larger visual effect. Just be sure to remind them never to imitate Sigfried!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Darlynn_Tebogo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I totally agree with you on the colors and creativity that went into creating the illustrations. The design was perfect! Simplified review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am happy to find at least a single fellow reviewer who found some negative aspects of this book. Thanks for the honest review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Sushan wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 22:41 I am happy to find at least a single fellow reviewer who found some negative aspects of this book. Thanks for the honest review 👍👍
Thank you for dropping by :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”