Review by Sarah Tariq -- Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Wars would not be initiated if more of our countrymen travel to foreign lands and stayed awhile,” says Tina Dreffin, generously sharing her thoughts, while embarked on an unforgettable South Pacific expedition with a feeling of pleasure and fear in her heart. Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa by Tina Dreffin is a wonderful memoir in which the author revitalizes her broken spirit and fulfills her spiritual quest of wanderlust (an aboriginal custom in Australia).

The author commenced her sea voyage from South Africa to the Caribbean with her husband, two teenage sons, and their two friends. The journey was full of perils with deadly waves and sea creatures. In South Africa, the Kruger national park (safari) was a substantial part of their trip. The author wonderfully demystified the physical and emotional setbacks that she had to face along with her family during her travel; especially, the unsafe parts of crime-ridden South Africa were a big challenge for them. But this zealous family never budged before insurmountable challenges and accomplished their ambitious drive. In addition, Tina shared some bleak phases of her life before her marriage with Peter that contained both financial enigmas and physical abuses.

I like travel memoirs, but this book was unique in the sense that the author had opted the story of a sea adventure that she undertook with her family. In this book, Tina appears as a gorgeous and versatile woman who is a caring mother, a kind and beloved wife, and an avid adventurist. The most appealing element of this book for me was the subtle narrative of the author. The details and the characters were all relatable and the author beautifully unveils every experience of her journey. I immensely enjoyed the author’s depiction of socio-cultural aspects of different places where she roamed, especially the South-African locations like; Port Elisabeth, Cape of Storms, Skeleton Coast, Jeffery’s Bay, and Cape Town. Another delightful addition was the inclusion of colored family pictures along with a journey-map that boosted up my interest in the book.

There were many flashbacks. However, they were so smoothly inter-woven in the story that it didn’t disrupt the flow of my reading. On the contrary, I enjoyed it as it provided a comprehensive picture of her present and past life. Moreover, the author has included many valuable references at the end of the book regarding particular incidents like cancer, miscarriage or sexual assaults. So it will definitely help out readers during their travel. However, I have some incongruence about the ending as it was a bit empty. I can say it a cliff-hanger ending. But I think, the author would have filmed or connected the events in the following books of her adventurous memoir. Another thing that I noted was the lack of placing events in chronological order.

Moreover, the book contains some minor mistakes like extra spacing between lines, and misplaced words, etc. Overall, the book is well-edited and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was an awesome memoir. However, keeping in mind the above-mentioned flaws, I take away one star and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you love traveling and interested in sea adventures, then this memoir will provide you with ample information about the oceanic weather, its threats, and pleasant experiences. While reading this book, I felt myself there and enjoyed every new experience with the author.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I have glimpsed at this book cover and found that it looked so austere that I didn't venture to read anymore. From your review, I realized that this book deals with subjects I love like traveling and sea adventures so I hope that I' ll be soon reading this novel and submitting a review as well.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I never liked memoirs because most of them follow this placid style of writing, but this one sounds exciting as it is about a family traveling together, and at sea at that! Thanks for the honest review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

P Reefer wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 17:04 I have glimpsed at this book cover and found that it looked so austere that I didn't venture to read anymore. From your review, I realized that this book deals with subjects I love like traveling and sea adventures so I hope that I' ll be soon reading this novel and submitting a review as well.
Yeah, it's a very interesting memoir. You should try this one.
Thanks for your feedback! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

briellejee wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 04:17 I never liked memoirs because most of them follow this placid style of writing, but this one sounds exciting as it is about a family traveling together, and at sea at that! Thanks for the honest review! :tiphat:
Yeah, this one is different from others, and is very thrilling. Thanks for your feedback, briellejee! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I like that the book takes place primarily in South Africa. So many novels are either set in America or Europe. I find those set in other places usually refreshing. I'm not if this is the book for me. Nonetheless, thanks for the insightful review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Ever_Reading wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 09:23 I like that the book takes place primarily in South Africa. So many novels are either set in America or Europe. I find those set in other places usually refreshing. I'm not if this is the book for me. Nonetheless, thanks for the insightful review.
Thanks for your feedback, Ever_reading! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This is one book I have been wanting to read for ages. I really liked the book's aspects, as gleaned from your review. This sounds like a wonderful and refreshing read. Thanks for the review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:17 This is one book I have been wanting to read for ages. I really liked the book's aspects, as gleaned from your review. This sounds like a wonderful and refreshing read. Thanks for the review!
Yeah, it was a wonderful memoir, rather different from typical memoirs. Thanks for your feedback, Shrabastee! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review and an unusual book. Few people go travelling with their family.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This is the second review that I read about this book. It is always good to compare fellow reviewers' work and I must say, you have done a great job 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the opening quote. It's so true.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:17 Great review and an unusual book. Few people go travelling with their family.
Thank you so much for your feedback, Helen! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Sushan wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 22:43 This is the second review that I read about this book. It is always good to compare fellow reviewers' work and I must say, you have done a great job 👍👍
Thanks for the appreciation Sushan. I really enjoyed this book. :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

teacherjh wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 12:10 I love the opening quote. It's so true.
Thanks for your feedback, teacherjh! :)

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”