Review by debbielouise -- Rowan Wood Legends

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbielouise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbielouise.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Review by debbielouise -- Rowan Wood Legends

Post by debbielouise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rowan Wood Legends" by Olivia Wildenstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rowan Wood Legends is the second book in the Lost Clan Series written by Olivia Wildenstein. It is a fantasy novel about two rival groups, the Hunters and the Faeries. They are in a constant battle with each other, which is played out on earth, but hidden from the sight of humans.

The main character of the book is Catori Price, who is half Hunter and half Faerie, so she is caught in the middle of the rivalry between the two groups. Catori wishes she could live a normal life but her friends and family keep getting into trouble so she has no choice but to get involved.

The main plot of the story is Catori trying to get back a book of legends that was stolen from her by Ace, who is one of the Faeries. The book was given to her by her great-great aunt Holly, whose mysterious death triggers off a chain of events that puts Catori in danger, and heightens the tensions between the Hunters and the Faeries.

Rowan Wood Legends is a well written book. The text flows easily and the characters are well developed. The story is written through the eyes of Catori, and the author expressed many of the conflicted emotions she was feeling really well.

However, I have not read the first book in the Lost Clan Series so I struggled to understand the story line and how all the characters fitted in. This second book seemed to be a continuation of the first. For example, I had to read half of the book before I fully understood which of the characters were Hunters and which were Faeries, but even then much of the story line was still unclear as I did not know the back-story. There is a list at the start of the book explaining who each person is and their relationship to the other characters, but is so long and complex that it didn’t really help.

I would recommend this book to young adults, and in particular those who enjoy fantasy novels. It is not suitable for those under the age of sixteen because of the sexual innuendos.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is well written and I did not see any grammatical or spelling errors. It has a good mix of suspense, danger, romance and intrigue, which keeps the reader interested in finding out how the story ends. However, if you have not read the first book in the series it is hard to follow the story lines as they seem to just continue from the first book, so I would definitely recommend reading the first book in the series before starting this one.

Rowan Wood Legends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debbielouise's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I just read and reviewed this book recently and am absolutely in love with the book. I loved the character of Ace Catori was a bit anoying but story was great. I also hadn't read the first book so it was difficult for me to understand some characters.
Thanks a lot for the review dabbielouise☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”