Review by Mbrooks2518 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review by Mbrooks2518 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O’Hare is the second book in the Inspector Sheehan series. Inspector Sheehan, Sergeant Stewart, and their colleagues are investigating some gruesome murders. The murders occur every Tuesday night at 11:05. Sergeant Stewart soon suspects a connection between the victims and a woman they all attended university with. Will the detectives catch the killer before he kills again?

I thought the plot in this whodunit was interesting and well written, even though there were parts of the mystery that were obvious even in the beginning. Despite the many parts of the plot that I saw coming, there were still a couple twists at the end, including the murderer’s identity, that I definitely didn’t see coming. As the story wrapped up and everything was explained by Inspector Sheehan, in a classic whodunit style, the little clues throughout the story pointing to the murderer became obvious.

I liked that the story had multiple points of view, including different detectives, suspects, and the murderer. The multiple view points from different detectives actually worked well for this book, because there are multiple detectives working on the case and following different leads. It gives the reader a chance to get the information with the detective and better get to know multiple characters. The chapters that are from the point of view of the suspects and the murderer give the reader insight into their state of mind. Although, it also means that the reader learns a lot of things before the detectives. It was well written though, so the reader doesn’t learn too much then finds it too easy to figure out who the murderer is.

As a warning though, there are some violent scenes that are a little graphic, like describing “blood splattering the walls”. There were also a couple of times that the events leading up to a sexual assault were described, but it never detailed the assault.

The story needed more editing. I found many punctuation errors, mostly missing commas. There were also some dialogue scenes where there should have been a period instead of a comma or vice versa. I also didn’t care for some of the author’s word choices, although it mostly didn’t bother me.

Overall, I really liked the book, and I plan to read the other books in the Inspector Sheehan series. I recommend this book to any mystery fan. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the many punctuation errors, I just can’t give it 4 stars.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mbrooks2518's review? Post a comment saying so!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The plot sounds really good. It's too bad about the grammar mistakes. Thank you for letting me know about this book!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Laura Bach wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 04:43 The plot sounds really good. It's too bad about the grammar mistakes. Thank you for letting me know about this book!
Despite the mistakes, I still really enjoyed the book. So, you should definitely consider reading it. Thanks for commenting!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A certified thriller fan, I had fun with the book. I was also surprised with the villain, but you're right, the clues were everywhere.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love this sort of books. Thanks for the well balanced, comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sushan wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 22:52 I love this sort of books. Thanks for the well balanced, comprehensive review 👍👍
Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 01:26 A certified thriller fan, I had fun with the book. I was also surprised with the villain, but you're right, the clues were everywhere.
Thanks for commenting!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

A solid thriller that leads you to say you would read the other books in the series is good enough for me, even with the errors. Thanks for your review. Murder mysteries are one of my favorites. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 17:41 A solid thriller that leads you to say you would read the other books in the series is good enough for me, even with the errors. Thanks for your review. Murder mysteries are one of my favorites. :)
Mine too. Thanks for commenting!
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

The story sounds kind of creepy any detective investigating this must be brave I'd most likely be indoors at 11:05 or have moved away.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Hayley2-0 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 08:29 The story sounds kind of creepy any detective investigating this must be brave I'd most likely be indoors at 11:05 or have moved away.
Me too! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”