Review by Alicia09 -- Winning the War on Cancer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Alicia09
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Peppermint Mocha Murder
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Review by Alicia09 -- Winning the War on Cancer

Post by Alicia09 » 08 Jan 2019, 20:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In “Winning the War on Cancer”, Sylvie Beljanski wrote about the natural extracts that her father used to help patients treat their cancer. These extracts include Pao Pereira and Rauwolfia vomitoria. Sylvie Beljanski also wrote about how she founded the non-profit organization called “The Beljanski Foundation”. This foundation was created to continue researching the benefits of natural extracts like Pao Pereira. This foundation was also created to educate people on various natural alternatives to chemotherapy, while providing natural medicines to cancer patients at the same time.

While this book is full of information on natural extracts, it is also full of information on the legal battles surrounding natural extracts. For example, Sylvie mentioned the fact that a few Pao Pereira crops were abruptly seized by the Brazilian government shortly after 2003. Sylvie also described the political issues that led up to her father’s arrest in 1998. When Mr. Beljanski had numerous patients who healed their cancer after taking Pao Periera and Rauwolfia vomitoria, the French government was outraged because this threatened to put the pharmaceutical companies out of business. Since natural extracts like Pao Pereira can grow abundantly, they cannot be patented like a synthetic drug. From the perspective of a lawyer, Sylvie explained the legal and political controversy that surrounded her father’s work as a biologist.

The most interesting thing about this book is that it was written from the perspective of a lawyer. I enjoyed reading about the political and legal battles surrounding natural medicine. My favorite part was Chapter 2. In this chapter, the French government ransacked her father’s lab, sprayed a harmful chemical that led to his development of leukemia, and abruptly arrested him. Sylvie sued the French government for the arrest of her father and the destruction of his property. Despite the fact that this lawsuit took years, I was happy to learn that she eventually won the case.

The only issue I had with this book was that there was not enough information on Sylvie’s relationship with her husband. Sylvie described her husband as being emotionally unavailable, yet he still helped fund “The Beljanski Foundation”. I was unclear as to how the relationship between Sylvie and Ken could have been terrible enough to warrant a divorce.

Overall, I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book appears to have been professionally edited because I only found one error. Sylvie provided an eye opening account of how the French government treated Mr. Beljanski’s work. Sylvie also included numerous studies that confirmed the effectiveness of natural extracts (like Pao Pereira) on cancer patients. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about natural remedies for cancer. I would also recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the history behind the Beljanski Foundation. I don’t think that anyone should avoid this book. When it comes to health, everyone needs to read about natural cures for life threatening diseases like cancer.

Winning the War on Cancer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alicia09's review? Post a comment saying so!
:character-ariel:

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 21 Jan 2019, 09:08

Thanks for your reveiw.

I just finished the book, and toward the end I asked myself, "Where is her husband as she is running around the world trying to make a go of this?" So, I wasn't surprised that they got divorced.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Rythmn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rythmn » 22 Jan 2019, 09:41

Great review. Thorough analysis of the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”