Review by Laura Bach -- The Mystery Of Flight 2222

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review by Laura Bach -- The Mystery Of Flight 2222

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mystery Of Flight 2222" by Thomas Neviaser.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Passengers boarded a long flight to Buenos Aires, but that plane will never reach its destination. Thomas Neviaser brings us a suspense thriller where nine survivors of the Flight 2222 go through a literal Hell after the plane crashes at sea. Will they escape it? The horrors they endure will make you turn page after page, and the detailed descriptions will make you a participant in this game of fate.

Meet Frank Mason, a stock analyst who takes business trips often. His pregnant wife, Kate, is helping him pack because he always forgets something at home. Then there is Helen Hampton, a divorced woman who treated her mother-in-law badly when she was ill. She felt guilty when her mother-in-law died, so now she wants to pay her respects at the funeral in Argentina. Helen and Frank sit next to each other on the flight. Because Helen was afraid of flying, Frank proposed they played an innocent game to help her relax. They had to pick seven people from the plane and guess their age, their nationality, occupations, relationship status, and their names. But who knew that the seven people they picked were going to be the only survivors of the crash along with them? Is it coincidence or fate?

I devoured the majority of the book in a matter of hours. It had a great start, detailed descriptions of Frank and Helen’s lives and personalities, a lot of griping moments where you didn’t know how the survivors could make it, and the shifting points of view that added multiple perspectives to the story. However, Frank and Helen are the only ones who benefit from a description in the beginning. You would expect the multiple perspectives to bring complexity to the other characters, but they basically exist to show how Frank and Helen guessed right in their little game. The lack of character development makes the characters seem superficial.

I would have changed some things at the ending of this book. I felt that the characters were not really interesting because their stories were barely touched. The Epilogue brings light to this problem, and the characters are showing a surprisingly new face, but it’s too late. Some of the characters have died in the book, and I felt nothing for them because I didn’t know much about their personalities, their lives. I think the author should have chosen to respect his characters and tell their whole story properly instead of just shocking the reader with an unexpected ending. It’s important to know a character’s story before they die, so the reader can empathize with him. Otherwise, the reader quickly forgets everything about the character.

However, to point some good things, the plot is unexpected and well-thought. The events stay in your head long after you finish the book. I think the end of the mystery suits the book, but that doesn’t change my previous opinion.

I am a hardcore fan of the TV series “Lost”, so I was immediately attracted by the cover and the title. I enjoyed the action of the book, which is why I recommend it for that, not for the characters. If you like the basic plane crash setting and you are interested in how people react and survive during such a traumatic experience, then this book might be for you. I warn light-hearted people that some scenes are a bit disturbing. After all, people tend to become quite barbaric when they are faced to a life or death situation.

I consider the weak characterization to be a serious issue that prevents this book from earning the highest rating. Unfortunately, the book isn’t doing better concerning the editing. There are places where the writing suddenly increases size, some commas were missing, and some words were added, for example, “Well, you done did a good job”. As these mistakes can’t be overseen, I will take away another star in hope of some more editing. Without anything left to be said, I give The Mystery of Flight 2222 2 out of 4 stars.

The Mystery Of Flight 2222
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Laura Bach's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Oh, you are right. Poor characterization evaporators the charm of the story. Though I feel that the plot is good enough, if the above mentioned errors are removed. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Laura Ungureanu

Sarah Tariq wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 00:39 Oh, you are right. Poor characterization evaporators the charm of the story. Though I feel that the plot is good enough, if the above mentioned errors are removed. Thanks for this honest review.
Thank you! The plot is really interesting. Some strange things can happen when you are stranded with nine strangers at sea.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise sounds seriously fascinating! (: but it’s really such a pity about the weak characterisation, as I think that makes or breaks a book. I’ll have to give this a pass until it gets a fix. Thanks for the lovely review!
Laura Ungureanu

gen_g wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 06:16 The premise sounds seriously fascinating! (: but it’s really such a pity about the weak characterisation, as I think that makes or breaks a book. I’ll have to give this a pass until it gets a fix. Thanks for the lovely review!
Character development matters a great deal to me too. Unfortunately, the author was more preocupied with the action, abandoning some great characters. Thank you for your comment!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I totally agree with you about the ending! The epilogue really ruined the whole thing for me. I wished the author was able to put them in the middle or something, and not at the end. I reviewed this book too! Pity because the tension and excitement were building up in every chapter and I was really looking forward to the ending, only to be disappointed. Glad to see someone sees it as I do. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:

PS. I like your summary better than mine! Good job! :wink2:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Laura Ungureanu

briellejee wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 05:57 I totally agree with you about the ending! The epilogue really ruined the whole thing for me. I wished the author was able to put them in the middle or something, and not at the end. I reviewed this book too! Pity because the tension and excitement were building up in every chapter and I was really looking forward to the ending, only to be disappointed. Glad to see someone sees it as I do. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:

PS. I like your summary better than mine! Good job! :wink2:
Thank for your kind words! I'll check out your review. I am happy to see someone else has the same opinion on this book, and the ending particularly.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Sad! Weak characterization and punctuation errors made the rating down. The plot was engaging though. A story of a plane that never reached its destination is appealing to me.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Aw, man! I was super excited as I read your review until you got to the less than great parts... I might still give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I was hooked as soon as I read the first paragraph of your review. However, not exploring further into the characters except two does seem something of a put-downer, especially when they will be the last survivors in the story. If I ignore this one fact, I believe I will love the horror and the suspense. Thanks for the amazing review!
Laura Ungureanu

Ayat paarsa wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 13:02 Sad! Weak characterization and punctuation errors made the rating down. The plot was engaging though. A story of a plane that never reached its destination is appealing to me.
The action of the book is enough to engage the reader. Thank you passing by!
Laura Ungureanu

Vscholz wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 21:20 Aw, man! I was super excited as I read your review until you got to the less than great parts... I might still give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
I wished nothing bothered me at this book. I still think a lot of people can enjoy it more than I did. Thank you for commenting!
Laura Ungureanu

Shrabastee wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 06:38 I was hooked as soon as I read the first paragraph of your review. However, not exploring further into the characters except two does seem something of a put-downer, especially when they will be the last survivors in the story. If I ignore this one fact, I believe I will love the horror and the suspense. Thanks for the amazing review!
The action can sometimes take your mind from the characters. I hope you will enjoy it! Thank you for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This isn't a story that I'd like to think of when I travel even if I know that it'll be our time when it's really "our" time. I couldn't help but feel for those whose loved ones suffer from such an unexpected loss. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of survival type stories, and with the problem with character development, I'll pass on this book. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”